- Score: Southern N.H. 14, Assumption 4
- Records: Assumption (15-24, 8-16 NE10); Southern N.H. (34-7, 19-2 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: Southern New Hampshire completed the weekend series sweep of the Assumption baseball team, defeating the Hounds 14-4, as the Penmen controlled the basepaths with nine stolen bases in the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Southern New Hampshire jumped out to a 6-0 lead through three innings, terrorizing the base paths with five stolen bases. The Penmen scored once in the first, twice in the second and three times in the third to build their lead.
- After Southern New Hampshire added a run in the top half of the fifth, Assumption got on the board in the bottom half. Freshman Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) singled down the leftfield line and stole second, before sophomore Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) doubled to deep left centerfield to drive home Adamson and make the score 7-1.
- The Penmen pushed four more runs across the plate between the sixth and seventh, before the Hounds scored two of their own in the bottom of the seventh. Senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) singled to right field and was followed by a double from sophomore Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) to put runners on second and third with one out. Adamson then grounded out to score Byrne and junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) singled up the middle to plate McQuade.
- Assumption scored once more in the ninth, when freshman R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) singled and Adamson connected on a double to left center field to close out the scoring, 14-4.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Adamson finished 2-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored to pace the Hounds at the plate. Jaehnig went 2-for-3 as he continues to swing a hot stick at the plate.
- Libby finished 1-for-1 with a run scored, while Richardson went 1-for-3 with an RBI.
- Sophomore Colton King (Westerly, R.I. / Moses Brown Prep) came on in relief and pitched 1.1 innings of scoreless ball, striking out a pair of batters.
- The Hounds return to action Tuesday, May 2nd, as they travel to Merrimack to face the Warriors at 3:30 p.m.