- Score: Saint Michael's 2, Assumption 1
- Records: Assumption (17-25-1, 11-13-1 NE10); Saint Michael's (9-27, 4-14 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: The Assumption baseball team dropped a pitcher's duel this afternoon, as Saint Michael's earned the weekend sweep over the Hounds with a 2-1 win today.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman James McNamara (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) was the hard luck loser on the mound today for the Hounds, as he pitched 6.2 innings of two run ball, striking out seven batters. Junior Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) came out of the bullpen for the remaining 2.1 innings and struck out five batters, while not allowing a hit.
- Saint Michael's Drew Farris was stellar on the mound, throwing 7.0 shutout innings with two punch-outs. The Purple Knights gave him some run support in the third inning, before scoring again in the seventh to make it 2-0.
- Assumption tried to rally in the eighth inning, as senior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) connected on a two-out base knock, which was followed by a single from sophomore Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) and then a RBI single by senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's). That's as close as the Hounds would come, as Saint Michael's closed the door in the ninth inning to earn the weekend sweep.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Jaehnig, Adamson and Byrne each finished 2-for-4 on the day.