- Score: Assumption 6, Stonehill 6
- Records: Assumption (17-25-2, 11-13-2 NE10), Stonehill (16-19-1, 9-13-1 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: Assumption led Stonehill 6-3 entering the ninth inning, but gave up three runs in the top of the frame and was unable to plate the winning run in the ninth or tenth innings before the game was called as a 6-6 tie due to darkness on Tuesday afternoon on Senior Day.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Stonehill answered in the top of the third. Tyler Carey tripled and then scored to provide a 2-1 advantage.
- The lead didn't last long as the Hounds came back with two runs in the bottom of the fourth. Assumption loaded the bases with two outs for Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College). McQuade came home to score on a wild pitch and then Stonehill tried to intentionally walk Jaehnig but the next pitch went over the catcher's head, allowing Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb) to score for the 3-2 lead.
- The Skyhawks tied the game up in the top of the sixth on a two-out RBI single. Assumption answered in the bottom of the frame. The team loaded the bases with one out and pushed across the go-ahead run, 4-3, on a fielding error before a groundout ended the inning.
- The Hounds added to their lead in bottom of the seventh. They loaded the bases, and after a strikeout Byrne came across to score on a fielder's choice. Stonehill was able to get a groundout to escape further damage.
- Colton King (Westerly, R.I. / Moses Brown Prep) came on in the eighth with runners on first and second with no outs. The junior was able to get out of the inning, including a swinging strikeout for the third out. Assumption pushed its lead to 6-3 in the bottom of the frame on a Byrne RBI single.
- Stonehill loaded the bases with no outs in the top of the ninth, scoring three times with less than two outs. Assumption got a second out and Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) came on with the bases loaded and struck out Carey to keep it tied 6-6.
- Assumption put runners on first and second in the bottom of the ninth with one out, however, consecutive strikeouts ended the frame. One inning later the Hounds loaded the bases with one out. Stonehill got a force out at home for the second out and a strikeout followed for the final out. The game was then called due to darkness.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Moynihan went 4-for-6 from the top of the lineup with one run, while Byrne was 2-for-4 with two RBI. McQuade was 1-for-3 with two walks as Assumption left 18 runners on base in the contest.
- Kyle Autilio (Saugus, Mass. / Saugus) earned the start and went 4.0 innings, allowing four hits with two earned runs. Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) tossed an inning of scoreless relief, while Chudoba went 1.1 innings with three strikeouts and no hits allowed.
- The Hounds return to action tomorrow when they travel to play Merrimack in Haverhill at 7 pm.