- Score: Assumption 3, Stonehill 1
- Records: Assumption (1-1), Stonehill (1-1)
- Location: Easton, Mass. (W.B. Mason Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption upset No. 6 ranked Stonehill 3-1 by shutting out the Skyhawks 2-0 in the second half and getting two goals from Jennifer Beardsley (Essex, Mass./Manchester Essex Regional) on Tuesday, for the team's first win of the year.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds came out to a fast start, putting Stonehill on their heels with earning the first two penalty corners of the game. Sam Tepper (Stroudsburg, Pa./Stroudsburg) scored the first goal in the 30th minute of play with an assist from Hannah McGrath (Londonderry, N.H./Londonderry).
- Stonehill answered quickly with a goal just four minutes later from Kacie Smith off a pass from Carly Anderson to go into the half even at 1-1.
- Assumption came out of halftime firing and Beardsley gave the Hounds a 2-1 lead at 36:30 as she knocked in a loose ball on left post off a rebound.
- Beardsley struck again in the 55th minute as she had her initial shot saved put deposited the rebound in the cage for the two-goal lead. The Hounds did suffer a yellow card with five minutes left in the game but the defense did the rest to take home the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption goalie Sarah Bodzinski (Southwick, Mass./Southwick Tolland Regional) earned the win with five saves on the night while Stonehill goalkeeper Sara Freedman ende the night with five saves as well.
- Assumption led the game in shots (14-11) and penalty corners (8-6) while both teams were physical with multiple cards handed out during the game.
- Beardsley concluded the night with four points on two goals to pace the offense. Kacie Smith led all players with seven shots, and five on goal, but could only score once.
- Assumption is back in action on Sunday, September 9, at St. Thomas Aquinas College at 1 p.m.