- Score: Assumption 93, Assumption 87
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: The Assumption College Men's Basketball team fell to Nyack College today 68-67, during the closing day of the Assumption Tip-Off Classic.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption scored the game's first seven points as senior Marcus Murray (Washington, D.C. / John F. Kennedy) accounted for five of them on a three pointer and a layup. Murray and senior Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXIII) combined to score the first 11 points for the Hounds as Assumption jumped out to an 11-4 lead.
- Assumption never trailed in the first half, with its biggest lead coming at the 12:58 mark as they opened up a ten points advantage (16-6) when sophomore Justin Tuckson (Stafford, Va. / Christ Chapel Academy) canned a three pointer. The Hounds maintained a steady advantage until the Warriors went on an 11-5 run to end the half with the score 36-34 in favor of Assumption.
- Sophomore Nick Pasquale (Shrewsbury, Mass. / Worcester Academy) opened the second half with a hook shot in the paint to bump Assumptions lead to four (38-34). Nyack took its first lead of the game at the 15:28 mark then Robert Tyler hit a three pointer to give the Warriors a 40-38 lead.
- Down 45-40, Rance buried a jump shot and freshman Malik Brown (Waldorf, Md. / Northpoint) hit a pair of free throws to make the score 45-44. Assumption tied the game at 50 points when Murray connected on his second three pointer of the game and then took the lead on a Rance jumper (52-50).
- Nyack started to pull away as the second half progressed, building its lead to seven (63-56) with a minute to play. After Tuckson missed a three pointer, Murray stole the ball out of the rebounder's hands and fed Rance for a layup. After Robert Tyler made two free throws with 43 seconds left, Murray made a layup and the Hounds forced the Warriors into a turnover on the ensuing inbounds. Senior Declan Soukup (Melbourne, Australia / Hallam Senior College) then made a three pointer (65-63), before Jaron Smith hit a free throw to increase Nyack's lead to three (66-63).
- On the next possession, Soukup drove the ball into the lane and made a layup to bring the Hounds within one (66-65) with 16 seconds left to play. Murray once again stole the pass off the inbounds and found Tuckson for a layup to complete the Hounds comeback (67-66) with seven seconds to play. Assumption's celebration was short lived however, as Ga'Briel Chandler went coast to coast and made a layup with a second left in regulation to give the visitor's the win, 68-67.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Rance once again led Assumption on the offensive end, scoring 18 points to go with eight rebounds and two assists before fouling out. Rance went 8-15 from the floor, including 1-2 from deep. Murray and Soukup each contributed double digit scoring efforts on the night, as Murray registered 16 points while Soukup scored 13.
- Pasquale made his presence felt in the paint as the sophomore recorded four blocks to lead all players, while grabbing seven rebounds including two on the offensive glass.
- Robert Tyler provided the scoring for the Warriors tonight, dropping 18 points and grabbing a team leading seven rebounds. Tyler combined with Jaron Smith to go 7-11 from three point land as Smith also led the warriors with five assists.
- As a team, Assumption shot 44.8% (26-58) from the field, including 38.9% from deep (7-18). Nyack scored at a 42.9% clip from the floor (21-49) and a scorching 52.9% from three (9-17).
- Assumption outrebounded Nyack 33-31, while also winning the turnover battle (15-16), points off of turnover (19-14) and second chance points (12-9).
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday, November 16th as the Hounds open NE-10 play when they travel to Stonehill to take on the Skyhawks at 7:30 p.m.