- Score: Assumption 84, NYIT 75
- Records: Assumption (5-10, 1-8 NE-10), NYIT (3-13, 1-4 ECC)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. (Barclays Center)
- The Lead: The Assumption men's basketball team earned a hard fought win at the home of the Brooklyn Nets, defeating NYIT 84-75 behind a career high scoring night from freshman Bryan Boehlert (Gaithersburg, Md. / Magruder) who tallied 18 points. The Hounds have owned New York opponents this season, improving to a perfect 5-0 in games played in the State of New York.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The two teams traded buckets to open the game before Assumption went ahead 14-6 on a layup by sophomore Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph). NYIT responded with a 15-4 run highlighted by six points from Yao Suz Sun to take a 21-18 advantage, before the Hounds were able to battle back, ending the half on a huge made three-pointer from freshman Darien Walcott (Bay Shore, N.Y. / Bay Shore) to head to the locker room up 33-28.
- Sophomore Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) started the scoring in the second half for the Hounds with a pair of free throws (35-28), while freshman Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) and Vujadinovic combined for three consecutive layups to push the lead to 41-33. Every time the Hounds were able to create breathing room, the Bears would find a way back into the game. Two free throws by Kelly gave Assumption its first double digit lead of the contest, but Kieran Hamilton connected on a three to pull the Bears back within eight (48-40).
- Boehlert and Vujadinovic took over the game offensively from there, combining to score the next 15 of Assumption's 19 points to essentially put away the game, as the Hounds owned a 67-50 advantage with nine minutes left to play. The game turned into a free throw shooting contest from there, as Assumption took advantage from the charity stripe, finishing the contest with nearly 40 free throws.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Boehlert led the team with 18 points on 5-for-7 shooting in just 17 minutes, while Vujadinovic finished with 16 points. Kelly and sophomore Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) each recorded double-digit scoring nights, as Kelly tallied 15 and Sullivan ended with a stat line of 13 points, eight rebounds, three assists and three steals.
- Jeffrey Hayden led NYIT with 24 points on 11-for-22 shooting, while also grabbing a team leading eight rebounds. Kieran Hamilton put up 19 points and connected on three, three-pointers. Tyler Ancrum facilitated the offense, posting a line of 12 points, eight assists and four rebounds.
- As a team, Assumption shot 45.3% (24-55) from the field and 43.8% (7-16) from beyond the arc. Molloy shot 40.8% (29-71) from the floor and 25% (4-16) from three point land.
- Assumption returns to action this Saturday as the Hounds host Pace for a NE10 matchup with tip-off tentatively set for 34w3:30 p.m.