Score: Assumption 4, Massachusetts Dartmouth 3
Records: Assumption (1-2, 0-0 NE10), Massachusetts Dartmouth (0-2-1, 0-0-1 MASCAC)
Location: New Bedford, Mass.
Lead: Junior Matt Damelio (Rochester, N.Y. / Northwood (Prep)) scored two goals to lift the Assumption men's ice hockey to a 4-3 victory over the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth to claim their first victory of the 2017-2018 season on Thursday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Damelio scored his first goal of the season off an assist from freshman John Chamberlain (Amesbury, Mass. / Williston Northampton School) and senior Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass. / Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL Premier)), propelling the Hounds to a 1-0 lead just 6:28 into the game.
- With 2:40 left in the first period junior Peter McDonagh (Latrobe, Pa. / Boston Jr. Bruins (USPHL Elite)) extended the Assumption lead to 2-0 after he netted his first goal of the season off an assist from senior Brian Farrell(Island Park, N.Y. / South Kent School (USPHL U18).
- The Corsairs took advantage of a power play, as Mike Soners scored to break Hound freshman goaltender David Altman's (Bristol, R.I. / Northern Cyclones (EHL)) shutout and bring the game within one.
- Damelio scored his second goal of the night with 4:57 left in the second period to lift the Hounds to a 3-1 heading into the third.
- Just 3:51 into the third period Casey Shea answered with a goal assisted by Jonathan Ruiz to take advantage of their second power play opportunity.
- With the game 3-2, senior forward Mike Sorenti (Sagamore Beach, Mass. / Archbishop Williams (MA HS)) tallied a goal, but just 17 seconds later UMass Dartmouth answered as Shea found Sones for the second time to close within one. However, the Assumption defense held on for the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Corsairs outshot the Hounds 40-36 and scored two goals on the power play.
- In his first collegiate start, Altman made 37 saves in the win, while UMass Dartmouth goaltender Drew Michals made 32 saves in the loss.
- On Tuesday, the Hounds will open NE10 conference action as they travel to play Stonehill at 7pm.