Score: Assumption 3, Johnson & Wales 1
Records: Assumption (3-5-1, 0-2-1 NE10), Johnson & Wales (3-5, 3-3 NE10)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Buffone Arena)
The Lead: Assumption built a 2-0 lead through the first two periods of action and traded goals with Johnson & Wales in the third period to finish with an impressive 3-1 victory on Tuesday evening in non-conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption outshot the Wildcats 15-5, as Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass./Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL)) netted a goal which was assisted by Brian Farrell (Miami, Fl./South Kent School (USPHL U18)) and Matt Cowles (Farmington, Conn./Avon Old Farms (Prep)). David Zulauf (Rochester, Mich./ Bridgton Academy (Prep)) made five saves to lead Assumption to a 1-0 advantage at the end of the first.
- The Hounds continued on to a 2-0 lead in the second after Farrell scored a goal on the power play, assisted by Laughlin and Robert Roche (Holden, Mass./Tri City Storm (USHL)), while Zulaf continued to be a force in the net not allowing a goal on 22 shots.
- Just 58 seconds into the third senior forward Tommy Mahoney (Braintree, Mass./ Boston Bandits (EHL)) beat Wildcat goaltender Mike Rockwell on the glove side to score the third consecutive Hound goal. Three minutes later the Wildcats finally answered as Mike Rodrigues roofed a shot over Zulauf to cut the deficit to 3-1. However the defense locked down Johnson & Wales to hold on for the two-goal win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds out shot the Wildcats 55-35 while they killed off three power plays and went 1-5 on the man advantage.
- Zulauf made 34 saves in the win to improve his record to 1-1, while Rockwell tallied 52 in the loss.
After the holiday break, the Hounds will host Saint Anselm on November 28, at 7:35 pm in an NE10 conference contest.