Score: Assumption 5, Saint Anselm 2
Records: Assumption (4-5-1, 1-2-1 NE10), Saint Anselm (4-5, 1-2 NE10)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Buffone Arena)
The Lead: The Assumption College ice hockey team scored four goals in the third period, two of which were short handed, to defeat Saint Anselm 5-2 and earn their first NE10 victory of the season at home on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first period saw plenty of defensive presence from the Hounds as they were outshot 9-4, yet did not allow a goal. David Zulauf (Rochester, Mich./ Bridgton Academy (Prep)) led this defensive force by having nine saves leaving the period 0-0.
- Saint Anselm opened the scoring in the second as Mike Ferraro scored a goal to give Saint Anselm the 1-0 lead. Hounds took no time to answer back as Tommy Mahoney (Braintree, Mass./ Boston Bandits (EHL)) scored, assisted by Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass./Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL)) and Brian Farrell (Miami, Fl./South Kent School (USPHL U18)), to tie the game 1-1 less than two minutes later.
- The Hound offense took control in the third period scoring three consecutive goals to take a 4-1 lead. Junior forward Matt Damelio (Rochester, N.Y. / Northwood (Prep)) tallied the first goal just 1:02 into the period to take the 2-1 advantage. In the next ten minutes, Laughlin followed with a pair of back-to-back goals, one short handed, to extend the lead to 4-1.
- Saint Anselm broke up the scoring as Ferraro answered with his second goal of the night to bring the score to 4-2 with 2:44 to go in regulation. With an empty Hawk net, Mahoney won a defensive zone face-off back to Damelio and he fired a shot from the opposite end to score his second goal of the night and provide the 5-2 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Neither team scored on the man advantage but Assumption scored two shorthanded goals. The Hounds were out shot 34-32 by the Hawks. Laughlin led the team with three points on two goals and one assist while Damelio posted his fourth multi-point game of the season.
- Zulauf made 32 saves to claim his first NE10 win this season, while Colin Soucy made 27 saves in the loss.
- This Saturday, the Hounds will travel to Saint Michael's for an NE10 contest starting at 4 pm.