Score: Assumption 4, Saint Michael's 2
Records: Assumption (5-5-1, 2-2-1 NE10), Saint Michael's (3-3-1, 2-1 NE10)
Location: South Burlington, Vt.
The Lead: Tied 1-1 at the end of the first period, the Hound offense came up with three goals in the second and third period to defeat Saint Michael's 3-2 in an NE10 conference contest of Saturday afternoon on the road.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Each team scored once in the first period. With 9:35 left, Dante Tomassini (North Branford, Conn. / Connecticut Jr. Wolfpack (EHL)) tallied the first goal of the game as he fired a shot past Tim Decker from the point on the man advantage. Under two minutes later the Purple Knights answered as Nic Hermary beat David Zulauf (Rochester, Mich./ Bridgton Academy (Prep)) after he picked up a loose puck in the slot.
- Just 4:38 into the second, Peter McDonagh (Latrobe, Pa. / Boston Jr. Bruins (USPHL Elite)) broke the tie as he scored a goal assisted by senior defenseman Brian Pickett (Wilmington, Mass. / Hebron Academy (Prep)).
- The Hounds outscored the Purple Knights 2-1 in the third. With 11:30 left in regulation, sophomore defenseman John McDonagh (Latrobe, Pa. / Shady Side Academy (Prep)) scored assisted by junior forward Matt Damelio (Rochester, N.Y. / Northwood (Prep)) to extend the lead to 3-1. Just 5:45 later, Saint Michael's cut the deficit to 3-2 as Sam D'Antuono scored from the point. With an empty Purple Knight net, P. McDonagh blocked a shot in the Assumption defensive blue line and then scored his second of the night to secure the 4-2 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Both teams had five power play opportunites, as the Hounds capitalized on one, and were perfect on the penalty kill. Saint Michael's outshot Assumption 37-26 in the game.
- Zulauf made 35 saves to improve his record to 3-1, while Decker made 23 saves in his first NE10 conference loss this season.
- Next week the Hounds travel to Post on Tuesday, and then are back at the Buffone Arena on Thursday to host Westfield State at 6:35.