Score: Assumption 5, Post 2
Records: Assumption (6-5-1, 2-2-1 NE10), Post (0-9, 0-5)
Location: Shelton, Conn.
The Lead: After a scoreless first period, the Hound offense tallied three goals in the second and added two more in the third, with goals from five different forwards to down Post 5-2 on Tuesday evening on the road.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After a scoreless first period, the Hounds took the commanding 3-1 lead in the second period. Senior Tommy Mahoney (Braintree, Mass. / Boston Bandits (EHL)) opened the scoring on a powerplay at 7:55, but Post forward Anthony Giacomin answered with a power play goal to tie the game 1-1.
- Assumption freshman John Chamberlain (Amesbury, Mass. / Williston Northampton School) scored the go-ahead goal just 20 seconds later, assisted by senior forward Mike Sorenti (Sagamore Beach, Mass. / Archbishop Williams (MA HS)) and sophomore Matt Drake (Manchester, N.J. / Islanders Hockey Club (USPHL Elite)). Sorenti added another goal on the power play, assisted by John McDonagh (Latrobe, Pa. / Shady Side Academy (Prep)) and Matt Cowles (Farmington, Conn. / Avon Old Farms (Prep)) to claim the 3-1 lead with 2:31 left in the period.
- At 12:22 of the third, Hound forward Sam Kelly (Enfield, Conn. / Kingswood Oxford (Prep)) extended the lead to 4-1 after he netted a goal off assists from Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass. / Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL Premier)) and Cowles. With 3:28 left in the game Matt Moreschi cut the deficit to 4-2. Post pulled goaltender Brandon Brown in the final 40 seconds, but Dante Tomassini (North Branford, Conn. / Connecticut Jr. Wolfpack (EHL)) found senior Ryan Bunyon (Westford, Mass. / Kents Hill School (Prep)), who scored on the empty net for the 5-2 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption out shot Post 51-32 and went 2 for 6 on the power play. Cowles had three assists while Tomassini tallied two and Sorenti led the offense with a goal and an assist.
- Freshman goaltender David Altman (Bristol, R.I. / Northern Cyclones (EHL)) made 30 saves in the win, while Brown made 46 as he suffered the loss in net..
- On Thursday the Hounds are back at the Buffone Arena to host Westfield State at 6:35 pm.