Score: Saint Michael's 2, Assumption 0
Records: Assumption (6-6-2, 2-3-1 NE10), Saint Michael's (7-6-1, 4-2 NE10)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Buffone Arena)
The Lead: The Assumption College ice hockey team gave up two late goals to Saint Michael's, and were not able to light the lamp as they fell 2-0 on Friday night in the first game of the two-game weekend series.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption was outshot in the first period 10-5, but still held the Purple Knights without a goal. David Zulauf (Rochester, Mich./Bridgton Academy (Prep)) led the Hounds with 10 saves.
- Saint Michael's struck with a top-shelf goal from the point by defenseman Jack Ouellette at 17:09 in the second period. Assumption's defense recovered and was able to keep the score at a 1-0 deficit to end the second period.
- The Hounds were held scoreless again in the third as the Purple Knights extended their lead to 2-0. Sam Finkelstein beat Zulauf on the blocker side off an assist from Ouellette. With 53 seconds left in the game the Hounds pulled Zulauf to send the extra man, but it was unsuccessful as Saint Michael's goaltender Tim Decker made three late saves to secure the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Both teams were scoreless on the powerplay, but Saint Michael's outshot Assumption 32-24. Ouellette had a goal and an assist for the Purple Knights while Matt Damelio (Rochester, N.Y. / Northwood (Prep)) and Brian Farrell (Island Park, N.Y. / South Kent School (USPHL U18)) each had four shots to lead the Hound offense.
- Zulauf made 30 saves in the loss while Decker made 24 in the win.
- The Hounds return tomorrow to host Saint Michael's at 6:05 pm to complete the NE10 Conference weekend series.