Score: Assumption 7, Saint Anselm 3
Records: Assumption (8-8-2, 4-5-1 NE10), Saint Anselm (8-8-1, 5-3 NE10)
Location: Manchester, N.H.
The Lead: Seniors Tommy Mahoney (Braintree, Mass. / Boston Bandits (EHL)) and Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass. / Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL Premier)) each tallied three points to lead Assumption to a 7-3 victory over Saint Anselm on the road Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Back-to-back goals by seniors Tommy Mahoney (Braintree, Mass. / Boston Bandits (EHL)) and Mike Sorenti (Sagamore Beach, Mass. / Archbishop Williams (MA HS)) put the Hounds up 2-0 with 9:31 left in the first. The Hawks cut the deficit to 2-1 as Jon Pallotta beat David Zulauf (Rochester, Mich./ Bridgton Academy (Prep)).
- Assumption scored three straight goals within four minutes to end the first period leading 5-1. Mahoney struck first with 3:23 left to register his second of the night while senior Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass. / Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL Premier)) scored just 31 seconds later. Freshman forward John Chamberlain (Amesbury, Mass. / Williston Northampton School) added his second goal of the weekend with 20 seconds to spare to claim the four goal lead.
- Neither team scored in the second period, but just 2:11 into the third Mahoney recorded the hat trick, scoring a goal on the power play assisted by Laughlin and Brian Farrell (Island Park, N.Y. / South Kent School (USPHL U18)).
- The Hawks fired back in the next seven minutes by tallying two consecutive goals to bring the score to 6-3. However, one last goal from Laughlin with 5:27 left closed the door for good and gave the Hounds the 7-3 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Saint Anselm outshot Assumption 34-26, while the Hounds went 1-for-5 on the powerplay. Mahoney, Farrell, Tomassini and Laughlin each recorded multiple points - highlighted by Mahoney and Laughlin with three apiece.
- Zulauf made 31 saves in the win, while Shane Joyce and Colin Soucy combined for 19 saves in the loss.
- Next weekend January 26 and 27, the Hounds host Franklin Pierce for an NE10 weekend series.