Score: Assumption 2, Southern New Hampshire 1
Records: Assumption (11-8-2, 7-5-1 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (8-6-3, 4-5-2 NE10)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Buffone Arena)
Lead: Seniors Brian Farrell (Island Park, N.Y. / South Kent School (USPHL U18)) and Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass./ Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL)) each came up with goals late in the third to to lift the Hounds to a 2-1 victory over Southern New Hampshire on Tuesday night for the team's fourth straight win.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Neither team was able to net a goal in the opening period, with Assumption holding a 16-9 edge in shots. Southern New Hampshire took a 1-0 lead at 13:35 of the second. The Penmen had a 2-on-1 breakaway and Griffin Rogers drew the defense before feeding over to Timothy Baylis who fired it into the net before the David Zulauf (Rochester, MI./ Bridgton Academy (Prep)) could react.
- Assumption nearly netted the equalizer late in the period as Peter McDonagh (Latrobe, Pa./Boston Jr. Bruins (USPHL Elite)) got a breakaway while shorthanded and beat the goalie but his wrister clanged off the post.
- The Hounds were held scoreless till the last fifteen minutes of the third period. Senior Brian Farrell (Island Park, N.Y. / South Kent School (USPHL U18)) struck first to tie the game 1-1 with 11:33 left in the game, deflecting a Tommy Mahoney (Braintree, Mass. / Boston Bandits (EHL)) shot following a faceoff win. Just 5:49 later, Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass./ Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL)) ripped a shot from just inside the blue line over the goalie's shoulder for the eventual game-winner. Juniors McDonagh and Dante Tomassini (North Branford, Conn. / Connecticut Jr. Wolfpack (EHL)) were credited with assists on the play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption out shot Southern New Hampshire 39-26 and neither team scored on a power play.
- Southern New Hampshire goaltender Kurt Gutting made 37 saves in the loss while Zulauf made 25 in the win.
- This Friday, the Hounds will host Stonehill in Buffone Arena at 5:35 pm, in a crucial conference matchup.