- Score: Assumption 3, Fitchburg St. 2
- Records: Assumption (4-0-0), Fitchburg St. (1-2-0),
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Buffone Arena)
- The lead: Peter McDonagh (Latrobe, Pa. / Boston Jr. Bruins (USPHL Elite)) scored the game-winning goal on a 5-on-3 power play for the second game in a row to lift the Assumption Greyhounds past the Fitchburg St. Falcons 3-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After the Falcons' Kevin Perry was called for high sticking and Josh Victor for boarding to set the Hounds up with the 5-on-3, McDonagh netted the power play goal at the 16:59 mark of the second period to put the Hounds up 3-2. The Falcons had tied the game earlier in the period when Kyle Hillick scored just 4:27 in.
-Fitchburg St. rallied in the third period, outshooting the Hounds 10-6, but the Falcons were unable to get one past Assumption goalie David Zulauf (Rocherster, Mich. / Bridgton Academy (Prep)), who made all 10 saves to preserve the Hounds' lead.
-Assumption led 2-1 after the first period. Michael Zampanti (Winthrop, Mass. / Islanders Hockey Club (USPHL Premier)) started the scoring at the 6:45 mark, while Dante Tomassini (North Branford, Conn. / Connecticut Jr. Wolfpack (EHL) put the Hounds up 2-0 at the 15:12 mark. Ricky Kramer pulled the Falcons to within one on a power play goal at the 18:13 mark.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption led in shots 30-22. Both teams went 1-for-5 on the power play.
- After going the first three years of his collegiate career without a game-winning goal, McDonagh has two in his last two games. He also added one assist against the Falcons and was +2 while on the ice.
-Zampanti netted his first collegiate goal and also added one assist. In four games so far this season, Zampanti has a stat line (goals-assists-points) of 1-2-3.
-Zulauf made 20 saves on 22 shots and improved to 3-0 on the year. Christopher Mattone made 27 saves on 30 shots and fell to 0-1 on the year.
-The Hounds will host Stonehill on Tuesday, November 6, at 7:35 p.m. in their first NE10 conference of the season.