- Score: Assumption 13, Saint Michael's 3
- Records: Assumption (2-0, 1-0 NE10), Saint Michael's (0-2, 0-2 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption's defense held Saint Michael's scoreless for over 30 straight minutes while the offense used a balanced attack to pick apart the Purple Knights for a 13-3 conference-opening victory on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Saint Michael's jumped out to a 1-0 lead as Brian Loughlin scored at 13:44. Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) brought the Hounds back even at 9:35 and Jason Hughes (Watertown, Mass. / Watertown) provided a 2-1 lead two minutes later. Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) and Hughes each had goals over the final 5:30 of the period for a 4-1 lead.
- Senior Patrick O'Brien (Oyster Bay, N.Y. / St. Dominic) led off the scoring at 8:20 on a nice feed from Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham). Dan Matisoff (Milton, Mass. / Milton) and Hughes both added goals off feeds from Farrell. Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham Monson) made eight saves in the second to keep Saint Michael's off the board and lead 8-1.
- Owen Peterson III (Westchester, N.Y. / Westlake) opened up the scoring in the third at 9:18 with his first collegiate goal, and Jennings followed a minute later for the 9-1 lead. The Purple Knights ended their 36-minute scoring drought to pull within seven with 7:44 left, before Reid finished the period with two goals for an 11-2 advantage.
- Jennings finished off his hat trick with 12:06 left for a 12-2 lead. Each team scored once in the final six minutes, while sophomore Chris Schultz (Bayville, N.Y. / Locust Valley) made three saves to keep the ten-goal advantage intact.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot the Purple Knights 36-31 and only won 7 of 18 face-offs while picking up one less ground ball (24-23), but did have nine caused turnovers in the contest. Hamwey earned the win in net for the Hounds as he allowed three goals over 54:43 while making 16 saves.
- Farrell led the offense with one goal and five assists, while Hughes added three goals, two assists and three ground balls. Jennings finished with four points on three goals and one assist as Reid totaled four points (2g, 2a). Tim Tierney (Framingham, Mass. / Framingham) led the defense with three caused turnovers and four ground balls.
- Loughlin had a goal and one assist for Saint Michael's. Jake Sonberg took the loss in net, playing 36:32 and making eight saves while allowing nine goals.
- The Hounds return to action on Friday when they host Post at 6 pm.