-Scores: Assumption 4, Bentley 0 (Game one), Assumption 5, Bentley 3 (Game two)
-Records: Assumption (14-11, 8-1 NE10), Bentley (8-16, 2-7 NE10)
-Location: Waltham, Mass
The Lead: After a 4-0 shutout win, and a 5-3 win over Bentley the Hounds have won their sixth straight game to improve their NE10 conference record to 8-1 heading into the last two weeks of play.
HOW IT HAPPNED:
- The Hounds tallied all four of their runs in the second inning. Junior Stephanie Menard (Cranston, R.I./ Cranston HS West) opened the inning with a double to right field. Next batter Cassie Schultz (Amesbury, Mass./ Amesbury) reached first on a fielders choice and Menard got thrown out at third. Sophomore Victoria Petrie (Malborough, Mass./ Malborough) hit a single to advance Schultz to second base, and she then scored on a single from Cassidy Colby (Charlton, Mass./Shepherd Hill Regional). With two runners on, senior Ashley Clark (Pawtucket, R.I. / William E. Tolman) reached on a fielding error which also scored Colby and Petrie. Clark was driven in on a double to right field from Nicole Duplease (Leominster, Mass/ Leominster) to take the 4-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the fifth inning the Falcons tallied two hits and had runners in position to score but Stacey Korotsky grounded out to third base to end the inning. Kendal Roy (Grafton, Mass./Grafton) sent Bentley down in order over the final two innings to secure the win.
- The Hounds got on the board first in the second inning. Freshman Shelby Lindsay (New Durham, N.H./Kingswood Regional High School) singled to get on base and Petrie laid down a sacrifice bunt to advance her to second. She advanced to third after Colby grounded out, and then Clark drove her home on a single to left field.
- In the third inning Assumption took a 2-0 lead. Sophomore Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford) singled to get on base and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt by Menard. Schutlz drove in Mazzeo on a hard grounder to third base.
- With two runners on in the top of the fifth inning, Menard hit a three-run homer to make the lead 5-0 heading into the bottom of the frame.
- The Falcons answered with one run in the bottom of the fifth. Julie Slavin hit a triple to get on base and then Chelsea Vera also tripled to earn an RBI and cut the lead to 5-1.
- Bentley came within two in the bottom of the sixth. With the bases loaded Kelsey Kennedy singled to drive in Sami Palazzolo and Juliana Romeo. The inning ended when Korotsky lined out to first base. In the seventh, Roy registered three strikeouts to end the game 5-3 and earn the save.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- In game one, Roy pitched a complete game, recording six strikeouts and did not allow a run. Duplease tallied a double and an RBI to lead the Hound offense.
- In game two, Jurnee Serating-Ware (Hudson, Mass./Hudson) pitched 5.1 innings recording three strikeouts, while Roy earned a save and tallied three strikeouts in 1.2 innings. Menard registered a home run and three RBI while Schultz and Clark each added one RBI.
- This Wednesday April 19, the Hounds will travel to play a doubleheader at Merrimack starting at 3:00 pm.