-Scores: Merrimack 4, Assumption 0 (Game One), Merrimack 4, Assumption 1 (Game Two)
-Records: Assumption (14-13, 8-5 NE10), Merrimack (25-11, 12-4 NE10)
-Location: North Andover, Mass. (Warrior Softball Diamond)
The Lead: The Hound offense sputtered and was unable to find its grove, falling 4-0 and 4-1 to first-place Merrimack in an NE10 doubleheader on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPNED: GAME ONE:
- Merrimack got on the board in the first inning to take a 1-0 lead. Samantha Waskowitz was walked and later scored on a fielding error.
- In the top of the third inning the Hounds got two runners in scoring position but could not get any runs. Senior Cassidy Colby (Charlton, Mass./Shepherd Hill Regional) reached first on an error, and she advanced on a single by teammate Ashley Clark (Pawtucket, R.I. / William E. Tolman). Next batter Nicole Duplease (Leominster, Mass/ Leominster) laid down a sacrifice bunt to advance the runners but Merrimack pitcher Megan Cook ended the inning by striking out each of the next two batters. In the bottom of the frame Merrimack tallied their second run of the game as Tiffany Mangiameli hit a single to start the inning and was advanced home on a Waskowitz single.
- The Warriors scored their last two runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to end the game 4-0. Breanna Dupuis pinch ran for Caitlin McBride and was driven home by Kaleigh Finigan. With the bases loaded Morgan Phipps scored on a hard single to the shortstop by teammate Mangiameli.
- Merrimack took the 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second on a solo home run Finigan. The Warriors tallied two more runs in the bottom of the fifth to take the 3-0 lead. With two runners on Alyssa Williamson hit a double to drive in Waskowitz and Mangiameli.
- The Hounds answered back with one run in the sixth inning. Alex Haskell (Bedford, N.H./ Bedford) got on base thanks to a fielding error and advanced to third. She was plated by Colby, who hit a single up the middle. In the bottom of the frame Nicole Nanof walked and then scored off a hit from teammate Kristina Terrazzano to make the score 4-1 heading into the seventh.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- In game one, junior pitcher Kendal Roy (Grafton, Mass./Grafton) pitched six innings with two earned runs, two strikeouts and six walks while Colby hit a double and totaled two hits.
- In game two, Jurnee Serating-Ware (Hudson, Mass./Hudson) tossed four innings, with four strikeouts while senior Courtney Oliva (Vernon, Conn./ Rockville) pitched two innings and recorded one strikeout. Colby tallied a RBI while Clark hit a double.
- This weekend the Hounds are home to play a three-game series against Franklin Pierce starting Saturday at 12:30 pm.