-Scores: Assumption 10, Franklin Pierce 2 (Game One), Assumption 10, Franklin Pierce 1 (Game Two)
-Records: Assumption (16-13, 12-5 NE10), Franklin Pierce (1-27, 1-17, NE10)
-Location: Worcester, Mass. (Marois Field)
The Lead: Junior Stephanie Menard (Cranston, R.I. / Cranston HS West) and sophomore Victoria Petrie (Marlborough, Mass. / Marlborough) each hit a home run and Assumption's pitching was dominant to lead the Hounds to a 10-2 and a 10-1 five-inning victories over Franklin Pierce on senior day.
HOW IT HAPPNED: GAME ONE:
- The Hounds took a 3-0 lead n the first. Menard hit a sacrifice fly to score senior Ashley Clark (Pawtucket, R.I. / William E. Tolman) while junior Caitlin Mirabell (Shoreham, N.Y./ Shoreham-Wading River) stole home on a passed ball. Next batter, senior Cassie Schultz (Amesbury, Mass./Amesbury) reached first on a fielding error which allowed shortstop Ashley Abad (Bedford, N.H. / Bedford) to score.
- Assumption tallied their fourth run in the bottom of the second inning. Clark was walked and then stole her way to third. Mirabell hit a hard grounder to drive her in to take the lead 4-0.
- The Ravens answered with two runs in the top of the fourth. With two runners on, Ravens senior Mikaela Ballmer hit a single to score Ashley Conway. Next batter Allison Collins also singled to drive in Dominique Bisaccia which cut the deficit to 4-2. In the bottom of the frame the Hounds added two more runs. Senior Cassidy Colby (Charlton, Mass./Shepherd Hill Regional) hit a single to open the inning and was advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt from Clark. Colby stole home on a wild pitch while Clark stole third. Clark then scored on a grounder by Abad to make the score 6-2.
- To open the bottom of the fifth inning Menard hit a solo home run. Then the bases loaded, Clark hit a single to tally two RBI, and Abad finished the game with a double to plate the game-ending run and end the game 10-2 in five innings.
- The Hounds scored all ten runs in the first three innings to end the game 10-1 in five innings. In bottom of the first inning the Hounds took a 3-0 lead. Schultz hit a single to center field with two runners on to earn two RBI, and Mirabell scored off a hit from Menard.
- Assumption added five runs in the bottom of the second. Mirabell led the Hound offense in this inning registering a two-run triple, while Schultz and Abad each added hits to score a run.
- With an 8-0 lead, Petrie hit a solo home run and freshman Shannon Delaney (Methuen, Mass./ Methuen High School) scored off a hit from Abadfor the last run for the Hounds.
- The Ravens scored one run in the top of the fourth. With Ballmer on second, Mendillo hit a hard ball to right field to drive her in to tally the only Raven run in the game, and senior Jurnee Serating-Ware (Hudson, Mass./Hudson) struck out Abigial Cook to end the inning.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- In game one, junior pitcher Kendal Roy (Grafton, Mass./Grafton) registered four strikeouts and scattered seven hits over 5.0 innings in earning her eleventh win this season. Clark, Abad, and Menard led the offense with two RBI each.
- In game two, Ware pitched 4.0 innings and struck out six batters while giving up just three hits and one unearned run. Senior Courtney Oliva (Vernon, Conn/Rockville) tossed the fifth inning without allowing a hit. Schultz tallied three RBI, while Abad and Mirabell each added two.
- On Tuesday, April 25, at 3:30 pm the Hounds will host Merrimack at Marios Field in their Blue Out game.