-Scores: Saint Anselm 2, Assumption 1 (Game One), Assumption 7, Saint Anselm 4 (Game Two)
-Records: Assumption (19-17, 15-9 NE10), Saint Anslem (18-15, 16-8 NE10)
-Location: Manchester, N.H. (South Fields)
The Lead: The Hounds fell 2-1 in the first game, but in the nightcap junior Stephanie Menard (Cranston, R.I. / Cranston HS West) hit a three-run home run to lead the Assumption to a 7-4 victory and clinch the No. 3 seed in the NE10 Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPNED: GAME ONE:
- Assumption took the 1-0 in the fourth inning. With runners on first and second, Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./ Milford) hit a double down the left field line to score Ashley Abad (Bedford, N.H. / Bedford). In the bottom of the frame the Hawks answered with a run to tie the game 1-1. With two outs, Shannon Colson doubled to left field and next batter Shannon McLaughlin singled to drive her in.
- In the bottom of the fifth Saint Anslem scored their second run of the game, and the eventual game-winning run, to take the lead 2-1. With runners on first and third, the Hawks took advavntage of a throwing error to score Jordan O'Connor.
- In the top of the seventh the Hounds had a last chance to tie the game but Hawks pitcher Sam Hennequin retired all three batters to escape the inning and win the first game in the doubleheader.
- The game was scoreless unitl the top of the fourth when the Hounds tallied two runs. Menard walked and advanced to second on a wild pitch, then Nicole Duplease (Leominster, Mass./Leominster) hit a triple to right field to register the RBI. Next batter Mazzeo hit a sacrifice fly to score Duplease for the 2-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the frame Saint Anselm answered with four runs to take a 4-2 lead. With runners on first and third, Erin Thompson hit a double to drive in Megan Murrell and Michaela Kane. The next two batters, both doubled to clear the bases extend the lead to two.
- The Hounds fought back by scoring three runs in the top of the fifth. With two outs, and runners on first and second, Menard hit a three-run homer to overcome the two-run deficit and put them in front 5-4.
- Assumption extended its lead to 7-4 in the sevneth inning as Abad and Menard each singled to get on base and then Duplease hit a double to clear the bases.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
-In game one, Kendal Roy (Grafton, Mass./Grafton) pitched six innings only allowing five hits and one earned run. Mazzeo led the Hound offense with a double and an RBI.
- In game two, senior pitcher Jurnee Serating-Ware (Hudson, Mass./Hudson) tossed four innings allowing four runs and Roy earned the save, pitching three innings without allowing a run and registering one srtikeout. Duplease tallied a double, triple and three RBI, while Menard added a three run home run.
- The Hounds will host No. 4 seeded Southern New Hampshire in the first round of the NE10 Tournament on Tuesday afternoon.