-Scores: Saint Anselm 3, Assumption 0 (Game One), Saint Anselm 3, Assumption 2 (Game Two)
-Records: Assumption (12-9, 7-4 NE10), Saint Anselm (26-9-1, 13-3-1 NE10)
-Location: Worcester, Mass. (Marois Field)
The Lead: The Assumption College softball team was shutout 3-0 in the first game and then fell 3-2 in the second game as Saint Anselm took two NE10 Conference wins on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hawk offense scored two runs in the top of the first as Shannon Colson tripled to right field, driving in two runners to take the 2-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the second, the Hounds had two runners on as senior Nicole Duplease (Leominster, Mass. / Leominster) reached on an error and junior Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H. / Milford) singled to the left side. However, Hawks pitcher Morgan Perry struck out the next batter to keep Assumption scoreless.
- The defense held the Hawks scoreless till the top of the fifth when they scored their final run. Erin Thompson drove a single up the middle and the next batter Megan Murrell hit an RBI double to center field.
- Freshman pitcher Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass. / St. Mary's Lynn) and Saint Anselm pitcher Courtney Fisher did not allow a run until the seventh inning. The Hawks took a 3-0 lead in the top of the frame as a batter was walked home and then Colson hit a two-RBI single up the middle to score Thompson and Maggie Murphy.
- The Hounds answered with two runs of their own to close the gap to 3-2. Freshman Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass. / Lowell High School) reached on an error and sophomore Ally Hinojosa (Revere, Mass./Revere) pinch ran. Next batter Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I. / Smithfield High School) doubled to advance Hinojosa to third. Freshman Abigail Duggan (West Roxbury, Mass. / Mount Alvernia High School) took Beatons spot on second.
- With runners in scoring position senior Stephanie Menard (Cranston, R.I./Cranston) hit a single down the left field line to score Hinojosa. Junior Caitlin Mirabell (Shoreham, N.Y. / Shoreham-Wading River) grounded out but it was enough to send Duggan home before the last Hounds batter was retired, ending the nightcap 3-2 in favor of the Hawks.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- In game one, Kendal Roy (Grafton Mass. / Grafton HS), faced 35 batters over seven innings, allowing two earned runs but the senior struck out 10 batters. The Assumption offense tallied two hits in the contest.
- In game two, Nowicki allowed three runs in seven complete innings as she tallied four strikeouts. Beaton had a double in the contest as Mirabell and Menard each recorded an RBI.
- The Hounds were originally scheduled to play Saint Anselm in a single game on Sunday but that has been postponed. They now return to action on Tuesday when they travel to Bentley for an NE10 doubleheader starting at 3:00 pm.