- Score: Assumption 56, Georgian Court 48
- Records: Assumption (1-3), Georgian Court (1-4)
- Location: Lakewood, N.J. (Wellness Center)
- The Lead: Assumption outscored Georgian 17-5 over the final five minutes of regulation to take the lead for good and finish with a 56-48 victory on the road in non-conference action Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption took a 10-6 lead on a layup by Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy) with 3:28 remaining, and Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H. / Bishop Guertin High School) added to the lead with a layup 26 seconds later. The teams traded baskets during the last three minutes, giving the visitors a 17-12 lead after one quarter.
- Georgian Court evened the game up by going on a 7-2 run over the first five minutes of the second quarter. O'Donnell made a pair of free throws to give the Hounds back the ball and they held the Lions to just two points the rest of the period to take a 24-21 lead into the half.
- Assumption stretched its lead to 30-23 on a Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood High School) triple at 7:08 of the third and led 35-25 with 5:50 remaining. However, Georgian Court kept the Hounds scoreless over the next five minutes and finished the third on a 13-1 run for a 38-36 lead.
- In the fourth, Assumption kept the Lions without a point for the first 3:16 while building a slight 39-38 edge. Georgian Court answered with four straight to build a 43-39 advantage with 4:59 left in regulation. Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J. / Washington Township) and Brittani LeBlanc (Townsend, Mass. / North Middlesex Regional) made consecutive threes to take a 44-43 lead and Capacchione added another for the 47-45 lead with three minutes remaining. Assumption make enough of its free throws late to slowly extend the lead and finish with an eight-point win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 30.2 percent from the floor overall while making 6 of 17 three-point field goals while holding the Lions to 29.2 percent shooting. The Hounds had a 56-35 rebounding edge, including a season-high 21 offensive rebounds.
- O'Donnell grabbed a season-high 15 boards to go with 14 points in leading the offense. Cramb added 12 points, four rebounds and two assists off the bench while Capacchione chipped in 12 points and four rebounds.
- Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass. / St. Mary's High School) added 11 rebounds, two assists and five rebounds while Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md. / Glen Burnie) posted six boards to go with three points.
- Catherine Phipps led Georgian Court with 13 points, three steals and two rebounds.
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday when the team travels to play Saint Michael's at 5:30 pm.