- Score: Assumption 12, Southern Connecticut 11 - OT
- Record: Assumption (7-6, 5-5 NE10), Southern Conn. (3-10, 1-9 NE10)
- Location: New Haven, Conn. (Jess Dow Field)
The Lead: Southern Connecticut scored with just 3:38 left in regulation to force overtime, but Jenny Bush (Kennebunk, Maine / Kennebunk) came through with a goal with just three seconds left in the first portion of overtime to escape with a 12-11 win on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Owls opened the scoring at 26:47 and led 2-1 after ten minutes of action. Amanda Burns (Billerica, Mass. / Billerica Memorial) tied the contest with 13:35 left and Caitlin Graves (Ashland, Mass. / Ashland) followed with a score at 11:36 for the 3-2 advantage. Bush made it 4-2 one minute later and each team scored twice over the final five minutes of the half to give Assumption a 6-4 lead at the break.
- Graves and Quincy Wilkins (Wilbraham, Mass. / Minnechaug) pushed the lead 8-4 with a pair of goals early in the second before SCSU answered at 24:26 to cut the deficit to 8-5. The Owls scored three more times over the next six minutes to draw even at eight apiece.
- Callie Dwyer (Merrimack, N.H. / Merrimack) ended the run at 17:24 and then Alexis Pastore (Baldwinsville, N.Y. / Charles W. Baker) made it 10-8 with 16:33 remaining in regulation. However, the Owls answered with two goals over the next four minutes to pull even, 10-10. Dwyer gave the Hounds an 11-10 lead on a free position goal with 6:26 left, before SCSU scored a man up with just 3:38 left. The Owls then won the draw and held for the final shot, but Jaclyn Chirco (Hopkinton, Mass. / Hopkinton) made a save in the final seconds to send the game to overtime.
- Assumption won the draw, though it was unable to score in the first minute of OT. SCSU eventually took back possession and had the ball with less than a minute left before Lexi Finn (Denville, N.J. / Morris Catholic) caused a turnover with 27 seconds left and Assumption pushed the ball up the field where Graves fed it to Bush for the game-winner with three seconds on the clock.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption held a 28-25 shot advantage in the contest and picked up more ground balls (26-24) but the Owls did have more draw controls (14-11).
- Graves led the Hounds with six points on four goals and two assists while Bush had two goals and four draw controls. Burns added five draws with her one goal. Erin Gildea (Boca Raton, Fla. / Pope John Paul II) had seven ground balls and two caused turnovers while Tori Russo (South Windsor, Conn. / South Windsor) had five ground balls and three caused turnovers.
- Chirco earned the win in net as she gave up 11 goals and stopped seven shots in 62:57. Alexandra Takacs made six saves with 12 goals allowed to take the loss.
- Assumption is 3-0 in overtime this year and 7-0 in overtime over the past three season.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the team travels to face top-ranked Adelphi at 12 pm.