- Score: No. 9 New Haven 13, Assumption 5
- Record: New Haven (14-3), Assumption (9-8)
- Location: West Haven, Conn. (Kayo Field)
The Lead: Assumption jumped out to a 1-0 lead midway through the first half but No. 9 ranked New Haven outscored the Hounds 5-1 over the rest of the period on the way to a 13-5 victory on Wednesday evening in the NE10 Quarterfinals.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Defense reigned through the first 10 minutes and Amanda Burns (Billerica, Mass. / Billerica Memorial) finally broke through at 16:48 to give the Hounds a 1-0 advantage. The lead was short lived as New Haven scored twice in the next two minutes to take a 2-1 lead.
- Three more Charger goals pushed the lead to 5-1 with 6:23 left, before Jenny Bush (Kennebunk, Maine / Kennebunk) ended the run with 3:36 remaining. Burns followed with her second goal at 3:22 to make it just 5-3, but New Haven added one more goal for a 6-3 lead at the break.
- The Chargers scored twice in the opening ten minutes of the second to extend their lead to 8-3. They added four more goals for a 12-3 lead with nine minutes remaining in regulation. Callie Dwyer (Merrimack, N.H. / Merrimack) ended the run at 8:28 and Burn scored the Hounds' last goal as they ultimately fell 13-5.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- New Haven out shot Assumption 28-15 in the contest and picked up more ground balls (26-15), but the Hounds did capture more draw controls (12-8).
- Burns led the offense with three goal and four draw controls while Bush added a goal and three draws. Tori Russo (South Windsor, Conn. / South Windsor) chipped in two caused turnovers, one ground ball and one draw while Sarah Reilly (Fairfield, Conn. / Fairfield-Warde) managed one assist, two ground balls and two draw controls.
- Jaclyn Chirco (Hopkinton, Mass. / Hopkinton) made nine saves in defeat, while allowing 13 goals. Erica Rinsky made four stops and gave up four goals in 56:56 to earn the win.
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday, May 3 when the team will play New Haven in the NE10 Quarterfinals at 7 pm.