- Score: Assumption 6, Nyack 0 (East Region Crossover Challenge)
- Records: Assumption (1-0-0); Nyack (0-0-1)
- Location: Easton, Mass. (W.B. Mason Stadium)
- The Lead: The Assumption College women's soccer team opened the 2017 season with a bang, netting six goals in the first half on their way to a 6-0 win over Nyack in the first game of the East Region Crossover Challenge. With the victory, head coach Grace Barnard picks up her first win as the head of the program.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds came out fast, scoring three goals in the opening 13 minutes of the game as junior Kallie Villemaire (Plattsburgh, N.Y. / Beekmantown) scored a pair and classmate Jessica FitzGerald (Uxbridge, Mass. / Uxbridge) registered her first goal of the season. Junior Ania Spina (Wallingford, Conn. / Mark T. Sheehan) played a hand in the game's first two goals as she was credited with both of the assists.
- Assumption kept the pressure high and they were rewarded when senior Amanda Arnold (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy) played the ball to freshman Johnna Caporuscio (Wayne, N.J. / Wayne Hills) on the left wing, where she subsequently took the defender on and buried the shot in the top corner of the net.
- Sophomore Sydney Huckabee (Akron, Ohio / Archbishop Hoban) joined in the action when she collected a rebound off of the post and buried it past the keeper to make it 5-0 Assumption. Caporuscio put the finishing touches on the scoring with her second goal of the game in the 39th minute on an assist from classmate Brooke Shatney (Weare, N.H. / John Stark Regional).
- The defense put the clamps on from there, holding Nyack to just one shot all game on their way to posting a shutout in the opening game of the year.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore Alexis Nason (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy) started in goal for the Hounds and earned the win, playing 57 minutes and recording the lone save of the game for Assumption.
- Assumption outshot Nyack 23-to-1 and held a 14-0 advantage on corner kicks.
- Spina recorded three assists on the day, while Caporuscio and Villemaire each pocketed a pair of goals.
QUOTE FROM THE COACH:
"In today's game we scored a bunch of goals from a lot of different people which was awesome to see. I thought we possessed the ball really well and got numbers up which led to a bunch of different people scoring which was really fun. I thought there was a few things we needed to work on, but overall it was a good first start to the season." – Head Coach Grace Barnard