- Score: Assumption 2, Stonehill 1
- Records: Assumption (10-6-2), Stonehill (13-6)
- Location: Easton, Mass. (W.B. Mason Stadium)
- The Lead: No. 6 seed Assumption gave up a goal in the first minute of the contest, but battled back to tie the game and eventually took the lead, ousting No. 3 seed Stonehill in the NE10 Quarterfinals on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Stonehill got on the board in the opening minute, scoring off a corner kick just 50 seconds into the game. The initial shot was saved by Alexis Nason (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy), but Kayla Henry finished off the rebound in front.
- Assumption kept up the pressure and finally broke through in the 31st minute. Brooke Shatney (Weare, N.H. / John Stark) possessed the ball outside the box, took a touch and ripped a shot from 30 yards out into the upper corner of the net, past a diving Kaitlin Brown to even score.
- The Hounds nearly took a 2-1 lead in the final five minutes of the first. Shatney fired another hard shot past the diving Brown, but this one clanged off the right post. The ball bounced back out to Ania Spina (Wallingford, Conn. / Mark T. Sheehan) and she tried to put it on net, but it went off the right post, keeping the score 1-1.
- Kallie Villemaire (Plattsburgh, N.Y. / Beekmantown) finally gave the Hounds the 2-1 lead in the 63rd minute. The senior received a pass from Diana Bruggeman (Natick, Mass. / Natick) at the top of the 18 and with a defender on her back, turned toward the net and fired a left footed shot past a diving Brown for the 2-1 advantage.
- Stonehill had a few chances in the final 20 minutes, but Nason and the Hound defense held strong while the offense continued to pressure the Skyhawks.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot Stonehill 21-19, though the Skyhawks held a 10-8 advantage over the final 45 minutes. The Hounds did record two more corner kicks (7-5).
- Villemaire scored for the fourth straight game and the sixth time in the team's last seven contests. Nason, meanwhile, improved to 9-6-2 on the year with five saves, while Brown took the loss while stopping eight shots.
- Assumption is unbeaten in its last eight contests, its longest such streak since going unbeaten for eight consecutive games during the 2014 season.
-The Hounds advance to the NE10 Semifinals for the second straight year and will face off against No. 2 seed Southern New Hampshire on Friday.