- Score: Assumption 2, Southern New Hampshire 0 - NE10 Semifinals
- Records: Assumption (11-6-2), Southern New Hampshire (13-4-2),
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (Penmen Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption's defense came through with an impressive shutout performance while sophomore Brooke Shatney (Weare, N.H. / John Stark Regional) scored and dished off an assist to lead the sixth-seeded Hounds to the NE10 Championship Game with a 2-0 victory over No. 2 seed Southern New Hampshire on a rainy Friday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption took the 1-0 lead in just the 16th minute of action. Shatney took possession of the ball on the far sideline, stopped and sent a cross into the box for Kallie Villemaire (Plattsburgh, N.Y. / Beekmantown). The senior trapped the ball, turned and fired a low shot into the near corner of the net for the 1-0 lead.
- The Penman put pressure on Alexis Nason (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy), but the junior came through with four saves over the final 30 minutes of the half to maintain the one-goal advantage.
- The Hounds added to their lead in the 54th minute. Ania Spina (Wallingford, Conn. / Mark T. Sheehan) took possession of the ball just inside midfield, turned and fired a beautiful through ball to a streaking Shatney. The sophomore beat the defender, dribbled inside the 18 and sent a low shot past the charging keeper, which bounced off the near post and into the goal.
- SNHU kept attacking the Assumption goal over the final 30 minutes of action, but the back line of Sammy Ferrera (Natick, Mass. / Natick), Emily MacDonald (Ludlow, Mass. / The Williston Northampton School) and Kiana Rocco (Guilford, Conn. / Sacred Heart Acad.) held strong with Nason to preserve the shutout.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption was outshot 26-4 in the contest and SNHU had 12 corner kicks to zero for the Hounds. Villemaire scored her 15th goal of the year, while Shatney scored in her second straight game.
- Nason made seven saves to earn the shutout in net while Hannah Rose made one save in the loss. The loss was just SNHU's second home loss in its last 21 matches, dating back to the end of the 2016 season.
- Assumption is now unbeaten in its last eight matches and advances to the NE10 Championship Game for the first time since 2014. It's the longest unbeaten streak for the Hounds since they had a streak of 13 matches without a loss to open the 2005 season.
-The Hounds look to claim their first NE10 Championship when they travel to play top seed Franklin Pierce on Sunday at 5 p.m.