- Score: Assumption 3, Dominican 0
- Record: Assumption (2-7), Dominican (0-6)
- Location: Worcester, Mass.
- The Lead: Assumption took care of business in the first set and trailed midway through the second set before coming alive to win and then finished off the match with a 25-13 victory in the final set to earn a 3-0 sweep over Dominican on Monday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption jumped out to an early lead in the first set, though the Chargers did come back to draw even at 12 apiece and then again at 18-18. Kellie Smith (Richland, Mich. / Gull Lake) broke the draw with a kill to start a 4-0 run and Olivia Burke (Salem, N.H. / Salem) eventually finished off the set, 25-21 with a kill off a Kiki Romanik (San Rafael, Calif. / Sir Francis Drake) assist.
- Dominican kept it close in the second and eventually took an 11-9 lead on a service error. Assumption answered back with the seven consecutive points to pull in front 16-11. The Hounds extended it to 24-18 before ultimately earning the 25-22 victory on a Smith kill.
- The Chargers scored the first three points of the third, before Ariana Orcera (Guaynabo, Puerto Rico / Colegio Marista) jumpstarted a 12-1 run with a kill. Assumption eventually stretched their lead to 17-7 and then 23-10 on back-to-back aces by Orcera. The Hounds finished off the match with the 25-13 victory for the sweep.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Orcera led the offense with six kills, three aces and nine digs while Burke hit .300 with five kills, seven digs and five total blocks. Maria Chrisom (Dover, N.H. / Saint Thomas Aquinas) added 12 digs while Addison Stafford (Copperopolis, Calif. / Bret Harte) chipped in ten assists, two digs and two kills in just two sets of action.
- Assumption hit .145 with 31 kills and 64 digs in the match while limiting Dominican to hitting -.017 with 23 kills and 56 assists. Deanna Knopf paced her team with 13 digs and nine kill s while Giovanna Del Sordo added 17 digs.
- Assumption returns to action next Tuesday when the team opens conference play by traveling to play New Haven at 7 pm.