- Score: Assumption 11, Saint Michael's 5 (Game One); Assumption 15, Saint Michael's 8 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (12-18, 5-10 NE10); Saint Michael's (1-14, 1-14 NE10)
- Location: Colchester, Vt. (Doc Jacobs Field)
- The Lead: The Assumption College baseball team swept today's doubleheader against Saint Michael's, as its offense exploded for 30 hits and 26 runs over the course of the two games.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) took the ball in game one for the Hounds and improved to 2-4 on the season after tossing 6.0 innings, while surrendering four runs and striking out seven batters.
- Assumption struck for a pair of runs in the top of the first inning when sophomore Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) connected on a one out single, before junior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) roped a double to right center field to record an RBI. With two outs, sophomore Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) singled through the left side of the infield, scoring Jaehnig from second base and giving the Hounds a 2-0 lead.
- Freshman Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) led off the fifth inning by getting hit by a pitch which was subsequently followed by a two-run homerun by Tralli to double Assumption's lead to 4-0. Jaehnig followed with a single down the right field line, senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) singled to third base and McQuade singled to center field, Plating Jaehnig. Still without an out recorded in the inning, freshman Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) registered a base knock to left center field, scoring Byrne and classmate R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) singled through the right side to score McQuade. Junior Mike Schmidt (Jackson, N.J. / Jackson Memorial) closed out the scoring in the inning when he reached on a fielder's choice, pushing home Adamson and making the score 8-0.
- Saint Michael's rallied to score two in the bottom half of the fifth, two in the sixth and one more in the seventh to cut the Assumption lead to 8-5.
- The Hounds put the game out of reach in the top of the ninth inning, as Libby led off the inning with a single through the right side of the infield. Libby then advanced to second on a failed pickoff attempt and Schmidt walked to put two men on with no outs. After sophomore Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) reached base on a sacrifice bunt which no runners were thrown out, Brescia drew a bases loaded walk to score Libby from third. Freshman Ben Lambert (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy) then walked to force in a run and Byrne singled to right center field to make the score 11-5.
- Sophomore Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) came on for the ninth inning and finished the game for the Hounds, allowing a run to finish the scoring at 11-6.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds combined to register 17 hits in game one, where seven players tallied multi-hit efforts. Jaehnig finished 3-for-5 with a walk, two runs scored and an RBI, while McQuade also finished 3-for-5 with two RBI and a run scored.
- Byrne went 3-for-6 with an RBI and a run scored, while Tralli finished 2-for-4 with two RBI and two runs. Adamson, Libby and Schmidt each recorded two hits, an RBI and a run, while Schmidt also drew two walks.
- Freshman Kyle Autilio (Saugus, Mass. / Saugus) pitched the seventh and eighth inning and struck out three batters while allowing one run.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Assumption continued to pile on runs to open game two. The Hounds scored three runs in the top of the first inning as they drew five walks in the inning.
- In the second inning, the Hounds doubled their lead as Jaehnig hit a sacrifice fly to score Brescia and Byrne followed that up with a two run shot to left center field, extending their lead to 6-0.
- Saint Michael's stormed back, scoring once in the second and then four in the third to shrink the lead to 6-5. The Hounds padded their lead in the fourth when Jaehnig connected on a one out double, Byrne singled to the pitcher and McQuade singled, scoring Jaehnig. Freshman Matt Schneider (Dalton, Mass. / Wahconah Regional) and Libby hit consecutive RBI singles to up the lead to 9-5.
- After the Purple Knights and Greyhounds exchanged one run innings culminating in a 10-8 Assumption lead, the Hounds broke the game open with five runs in the ninth. Jaehnig highlighted the inning with a three run homerun, scoring Brescia and junior Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Lambert picked up the win in game two to improve his record to 2-1 on the season. Lambert produced a stat line of 5.1 innings pitched, seven runs, six walks and four strikeouts. Chudoba earned the save as the junior came on and pitched the last 1.1 innings of the game, striking out a pair of batters.
- Jaehnig led the Hounds at the plate, as he finished 3-for-5 with two doubles, a homerun, five RBI and three runs scored. Brescia also collected three hits, going 3-for-6 with four runs scored and two RBI.
- Byrne finished 2-for-5 with three RBI and two runs scored, while Libby went 2-for-4 with a walk, an RBI and a run scored.
- The Hounds return to action on April 18, when they host Merrimack at Rocheleau Field for a contest at 3:30 p.m.