- Score: Assumption 7, Bentley 2
- Records: Assumption (4-0, 0-0 NE10), Bentley (0-7, 0-0 NE10
- Location: Altamonte Spr., Fla. (Lake Brantley HS)
- The Lead: Starter Cole Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford High School) pitched eight innings of one-run baseball and the Assumption Greyhounds lineup slugged for seven runs on 11 hits and 11 walks to defeat the Bentley Falcons 7-2 on Friday morning in the team's first game of their annual spring break trip in Florida.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Chudoba kept the Falcons silent, allowing only one run on three hits and no walks while striking out nine. Chudoba didn't allow his first runner until the fifth inning when Ryan Berardino singled to center, which came after the Hounds had already built a 4-0 lead. Berardino eventually scored on a single by Jake Pierce to make it 4-1, but Chudoba didn't allow another runner to reach until the eighth inning when Pierce singled with one out in the inning for his second hit of the game.
-The Hounds scored four runs in the third inning and never looked back, scoring two more in the eighth and one more in the ninth. In the third inning, Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) hit a leadoff home run to left, while Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) hit a two-run single through the right side to give the Hounds a 3-0 lead. Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) then used a grounder to first with the bases loaded to score Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) from third and to make it 4-0.
-Matt Lonardo (Cranston, RI / Cranston High School) singled with the bases loaded and no outs in the eighth inning to extend the Hounds' lead to 5-1. Faced with the same situation in the ninth inning but with two outs this time, Lonardo singled again to extend his team's lead to 7-1. Colton King (Westerly, R.I. / Moses Brown Prep) pitched the final inning for the Hounds and allowed one run on one hit with two strikeouts to seal the Hounds' win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) went 3-for-4 with one walk, one run and one RBI. Lonardo went 2-for-4 with two RBIs and one walk, while Brescia went 1-for-3 with three walks and the home run. Both Lonardo and Brescia have had at least one hit in each of the team's first four games, while Adamson has hit to a slash line of .500/.611/.643 with six RBIs and five runs.
-Chudoba threw 90 pitches over eight innings and struck out nine while allowing only one run on three hits and no walks. In two starts so far this season, Chudoba is 2-0 with a 0.60 ERA, 10.8 K/9 and a 0.46 WHIP.
-The Hounds face Bentley again tomorrow, March 2, at 12 p.m. in Florida.