- Score: Assumption 13, Bentley 4
- Records: Assumption (5-0, 0-0 NE10), Bentley (0-8, 0-0 NE10)
- Location: Altamonte Spr., Fla. (Lake Brantley HS)
- The Lead: The Assumption Greyhounds combined for 13 runs on 18 hits to defeat the Bentley Falcons 13-4 on Saturday afternoon in Florida to begin their season a perfect 5-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds began the game down 3-1 by the end of the second inning. However, the Hounds scored three runs in the fourth to take a 4-3 lead and never looked back, scoring two more in the fifth, five in the eighth and two in the ninth inning to take a 13-4 lead. Dillon Koster (Woburn, Mass. / Woburn / Marist College) started the third with a two-RBI single through the middle with the bases loaded. With two outs in the inning, Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) singled in a run to give the Hounds a 4-3 lead.
-Assumption scored two more in the fifth inning on back-to-back RBI singles, but the heaviest damage came in the eighth. After Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) singled in a run to give his team a 7-3 lead, Richardson extended the inning by reaching on a Bentley error at third base with two outs in the inning. With the bases loaded, Matt Lonardo (Cranston, RI / Cranston High School) produced unloaded the bases with a three-run double, giving his team an 11-4 lead.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Koster went 2-for-4 with one walk and four RBIs, while Richardson went 2-for-5 with one run, one RBI and one walk. Ten players had at least one hit for the Hounds, while seven had at least two hits.
-James McNamara (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) earned the win, pitching the first three innings while allowing three runs and striking out three. Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) pitched four innings in relief and allowed only one run on four hits and three walks. MacGuire O'Sullivan (Durham, Conn. / Coginchaug Regional) pitched the final two innings and allowed only one hit.
-Through their first five games, the Hounds are hitting to a slash line of .370/.512/.550. They average 12.2 runs per game and have held opponents to a .224 batting average against.
-The Hounds face Bentley for the third game of the series tomorrow, March 3, at 12 p.m. in Florida.