- Score: Malone 4, Assumption 3 (F/17)
- Records: Malone (6-4, 0-0 GMAC), Assumption (6-1, 0-0 NE10)
- Location: Winter Park, Fla. (Rollins College)
- The Lead: After four hours and 13 minutes and 17 innings of baseball at a neutral site in Florida, Josh Haygood singled through the left side in the top the 17th to take down the previously undefeated Assumption Greyhounds 4-3 on Monday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Haygood's single came on the first pitch of the at-bat against MacGuire O'Sullivan (Durham, Conn. / Coginchaug Regional), who pitched five innings of relief, to score Andrew Hanna from third. Hanna, who singled to left with one out, moved up to third on a throwing error at third base. The Hounds fought in the bottom half of the inning as Matt Lonardo (Cranston, RI / Cranston High School) walked to start things off, but the team went in order the rest of the way to end the game.
-The Hounds had tied the game on three different occasions prior to Haygood's RBI-single. After Malone went up 3-2 in the top of the 13th, Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) doubled, moved to third on a wild pitch and later scored on a sacrifice fly by Dillon Koster (Woburn, Mass. / Woburn / Marist College) to tie the game for the final time.
-Koster's antics came after Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) singled up the middle to score Philip Gaines (Cambridge, Mass. / Cambridge Rindge & Latin) from third to tie the game at two in the bottom of the ninth inning. Gaines, who pinch ran for Matt Schneider (Dalton, Mass. / Wahconah Regional) after he reached on a throwing error at second base, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) and then to third on a wild pitch.
-Dillon Zona (Shrewsbury, Mass. / Shrewsbury High School) tied the game at one in the fourth inning. With runners on first and second, Zona sent a pitch back up the middle to score Tralli.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption and Malone were locked into a pitcher's duel for most of the game. Patrick Harrington (Bedford, NH / Bedford High School) started the game and pitched six innings, allowing one run (zero earned) on seven hits and one walk while striking out one. Colton King (Westerly, R.I. / Moses Brown Prep) then pitched six innings in relief and allowed one run on one hit and two walks while striking out seven. O'Sullivan pitched the final five innings and allowed two runs (one earned) on four hits and one walk while striking out three.
-For Malone, Tommy Walker started and went seven innings and allowed only one run on six hits and one walk. Tyrus Jones went six innings in relief and allowed only two hits and one run, while Kyle Kovach and Alex Wildmer pitched two innings each with Wildmer pitching the final two to earn the win.
-The Hounds were 8-for-24 (.333) with two outs in the inning and were 3-for-10 (.300) with runners in scoring position. They held Malone to just 12-for-58 (.207) at the plate but allowed five batters to reach on errors, allowed two of those runners to score and committed seven errors throughout the game.
-Tralli led the team at the plate, going 3-for-7 with two runs and the team's only extra base hit. Zona went 1-for-2 with one RBI.
-The Hounds face Flagler tomorrow, March 5, with first pitch set for 4 p.m.