- Score: Assumption 15, Nyack 6
- Records: Assumption (8-4, 0-0 NE10), Nyack (1-6-1, 0-0 CACC)
- Location: Winter Park, Fla. (Rollins College)
- The Lead: Brendan Desautels (Holden, Mass. / Holy name Central Catholic) shutdown the Nyack Warriors in five innings of relief to earn the win, Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) blasted two home runs, including a grand slam in the first inning, and the Assumption Greyhounds defeated the Warriors 15-6 on Sunday morning in the team's final game of their annual trip to Florida.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-Desautels relieved starter Mike Curtis (Wilmington, Mass. / Wilmington High School) in the third inning with the Hounds down 5-4. After giving up one run in the third, Desautels shut down the Warriors the rest of way, giving up five hits while striking out four in five innings of relief to earn the win.
-While Desautels pitched the Hounds to victory, Tralli hit the Hounds to victory. He hit a grand slam in the bottom of the first inning to give his team an initial 4-2 lead and later hit another homer in the eighth to finish the day 3-for-5 with six RBIs, three runs and two homers.
-Assumption also used a five-run fifth to pull ahead for good at 9-6. Matt Lonardo (Cranston, RI / Cranston High School) started the scoring with an RBI on a fielder's choice at second. With two outs in the inning, the Hounds strung together three straight singles that produced four more runs to give Assumption a 9-6 lead.
-The Hounds added four more runs in the sixth to go up 13-6. Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) and Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) produced back-to-back doubles to give Assumption an 11-6 lead. Tralli knocked in a run on an error in center field, while Connor Wironen (Leominster, Mass. / Saint Bernard's) singled in Tralli to give the Hounds a 13-6 lead.
- Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) came in to pitch the final two innings and struck out one while allowing no hits but three walks to close it out for the Hounds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Tralli led the Hounds by going 3-for-5 with his two homers. McQuade and Adamson each had three hits, three runs, two RBIs and a double, while McQuade went 3-for-5 and Adamson went 3-for-4.
- Desautel had appeared in two games prior to his performance, which included one start. He had pitched five total innings and allowed four runs (three earned) on seven hits while striking out five. King had given up two runs and six walks in three innings prior to Sunday's performance.
- Lonardo continued his on-base streak to 11 games with his walk. Adamson is working on a four game hitting streak of his own, going 6-for-13 during that span.
-The Hounds have a week off before travelling to Le Moyne next Saturday, March 16, for a double header at 12 p.m. and then 3 p.m.