- Score: Stonehill 3, Assumption 2 – 10 Inn.
- Records: Stonehill (12-11, 3-0 NE10), Assumption (7-2, 0-0 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: After giving up a run to Stonehill in the top of the tenth, Assumption put a runner in scoring position in the bottom of the frame, but he was stranded on second as the Hounds fell 3-2 on Thursday in their home-opener.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Stonehill got to starter Brendan Desautels (Holden, Mass. / Holy Name) in the top of the second with an RBI single following a wild pitch. The Skyhawks added to their lead in the third, scoring on a sacrifice fly for a 2-0 advantage.
- The Hounds got on the board in the bottom of the fourth inning as Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) rapped a one-out single and then advanced to second. Following a walk, Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) singled home Adamson from second to cut the lead in half. A flyout ended the threat with runners on the corners.
- Neither team scored again until the eighth inning, though Assumption put a runner on second in both the fifth and the sixth. R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) led off the bottom of the eighth with a solo home run to even the score at 2-2.
- Freshman Patrick Harrington (Bedford, N.H. / Bedford) pitched a shutdown ninth inning but Assumption was unable to get on base in the bottom of the frame. Stonehill broke through in the top of the 10th, as each of the first two runners reached. After a sacrifice bunt advanced the runners to second and third, Stonehill hit a fly ball to left. Aidan Wilde tagged up and just beat the throw home for a 3-2 lead. In the bottom of the frame, Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) led off with a single and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt, however, he was stranded as the Skyhawks got final two outs to secure the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds had nine hits on the day but walked just once while striking out 16 times. Brescia has a season-high four hits in five at-bats to extend his hitting streak to seven games. Adamson finished 2-for-5 with a run.
- Desautels went the first 5.0 innings, allowing just two hits with four walks, eight strikeouts and one earned run. Harrington was saddled with the loss as he tossed the final 5.0 innings and gave up one earned run, four hits and struck out nine with two walks.
- Michael White earned the win for Stonehill as he went the final 3.0 innings, allowing two hits, one run and striking out four without a walk. Matt Donlan had two hits for the Skyhawks.
-The Hounds return to action tomorrow when they square off against Bentley for a single game at 3:30 p.m.