- Score: Bentley 13, Assumption 5
- Records: Bentley (4-13, 2-2 NE10), Assumption (11-10, 1-4 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: The Bentley Falcons got to Assumption pitching early and often, pounding 19 hits in a 13-5 win over the Greyhounds on Friday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Make Samko and Christopher Butler each homered for the Falcons, while Samko went 5-for-6 at the plate and Butler 2-for-5. Butler drove a ball over the right field wall for a two-run homer to give Bentley a 7-3 lead as part of a four-run seventh inning. Samko later homered to the same spot later on in the ninth to put his team up 11-5.
- Samko was also part of a four-run third that put Bentley up for good. With his team up 1-0, Samko singled to load the bases and later scored on a two-RBI single from teammate Ryan Berardino. Brandon Grover then produced an RBI-single to put Bentley up 4-0.
-The Hounds were able to pull within one in the bottom of the fourth, down 4-3. Matt Schneider (Dalton, Mass. / Wahconah Regional) doubled in a run to begin the scoring. Jimmy Hodgson then relieved starter Lloyd Hill and immediately hit Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) with the bases loaded to bring in another run. Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) then singled in a run to pull within one, 4-3.
-However, the Hounds began to falter after coming within one on the lead. They let up at least one run in every inning from the fifth inning on, allowing four in the seventh and two in the ninth. TJ Masella (Northborough, Mass. / Our Lady of Lourdes) lasted just two outs in the seventh before leaving after giving up four runs on five hits. James Cappello (Marlborough, Mass. / Assabet Valley Regional Technical) came in after Masella and allowed one run (zero earned) in 1 1/3 innings of work and Andrew Moccia (Lynn, Mass. / Lynn Classical) finished the ninth with two runs allowed on two hits.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds produced 10 of their own hits to go along with two walks, but left eight men on base. They left five men on from the fourth through sixth inning, including the bases loaded in the fourth.
- Cole Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford High School) earned the loss for the Hounds, allowing six runs (five earned) on 11 hits while only striking out three. Hodgson earned the win in relief for the Falcons, pitching 3 1/3 innings and allowing only two runs on four hits and one walk. Evan Christopulos pitched the final two innings for Bentley and allowed no runs on two hits while striking out three.
- Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) extended his hitting streak to eight games after going 1-for-5 against Bentley. His lone hit was a single to center in the seventh, in which he later scored on a double by R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick).
-The Hounds face Bentley again tomorrow, March 30, in a doubleheader beginning at 12 p.m.