- Score: Assumption 14, American International 12
- Records: Assumption (14-11, 3-5 NE10), American International (11-10, 2-1 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
- The Lead: The Assumption Greyhounds scored six runs in the bottom of the first, but eventually needed a five-run sixth to defeat the American International Yellow Jackets 14-12 on Thursday afternoon at Rocheleau Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) put the Hounds up for good at 10-9 with a leadoff homer to right field in the bottom of the sixth. His home run sparked an eventual five-run sixth for the Hounds that put them up 14-9. Assumption eventually strung together three straight hits, including a double by Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) to pull ahead by five.
-The comeback came after the Hounds scored six runs in the bottom of the first. They used five hits—all singles—as well as one walk and one hit by pitch to go up 6-1 before flying out to end the inning. American International got those six runs right back in the next half inning however. Cam DeFeo hit a two-run shot to right-center and Anthony Clark hit an inside-the-park home run to put the Yellow Jackets up 7-6.
-Colton King (Westerly, R.I. / Moses Brown Prep) relieved starter James McNamara (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) following Clark's home run and shut down the Yellow Jackets. He pitched 4 1/3 innings and allowed two runs (zero earned) on two hits and two walks while striking out four to pick up the win. Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) came in and earned the save, pitching 2 1/3 innings and allowing only one run on two hits and two walks while striking out four. He came in after Manny PegueroMelo (Boston, Mass. / Xaverian) left with runners on first and third and after allowing two runs to score in the seventh. With his team up 14-11, Keinz forced Matt Costanza to pop up to end the inning.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- King improved to 1-0 on the year following his performance on Thursday. He has now thrown 14 1/3 innings in seven relief appearances and maintains a 2.51 ERA along with a 0.91 WHIP and a 9.0 K/9 rate. Keinz's save was also his first on the year.
-McQuade led the team at the plate, going 3-for-4 with three RBIs, three runs, one walk and his home run. He has now hit safely in four straight games and has batted .437 during that span while also hitting two home runs, eight RBIs and scoring seven runs.
-The Hounds produced 16 hits throughout the game with seven players getting at least two hits. The Yellow Jackets had 12 hits, but had only three players with at least two hits. Clark led the team by going 3-for-5 at the plate. Zac Brittain earned the loss in relief for American International. He allowed seven runs on nine hits and three walks in 3 2/3 innings.
-The Hounds host Merrimack in non-conference action on Friday, April 5, at 3:30 p.m. The two teams recently faced each other on Tuesday with Assumption winning 4-3 in the bottom of the 10th.