- Score: Stonehill 7, Assumption 5
- Records: Stonehill (15-17, 5-7 NE10), Assumption (17-12, 5-6 NE10)
- Location: Easton, Mass. (Lou Gorman Field)
- The Lead: The Assumption Greyhounds made their best effort to mount a comeback, scoring two runs with the bases loaded on two different occasions in the top of the ninth, but a groundout to third ended the threat as the Hounds lost 7-5 to the Stonehill Skyhawks on Wednesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-The Hounds trailed 7-3 going into the top of the ninth but quickly loaded the bases with one out on a dropped third strike to Matt Schneider (Dalton, Mass. / Wahconah Regional) and back-to-back singles by Matt Lonardo (Cranston, RI / Cranston High School) and Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic). Alex Richardson (Rehoboth, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) hit a sacrifice fly to bring the Hounds to within three at 7-4 and Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) walked to reload the bases with two outs. Jake Hamel (Uxbridge, Mass. / Saint John's) walked with the bases loaded in the Hounds next at-bat, bringing the game to within two at 7-5 with the bases loaded.
-Richard Ryan then came on to relieve Stonehill starter Michael Young who had almost gone the distance, pitching 8 2/3 innings. Ryan forced a groundout on the first batter he faced to end the Hounds rally, earning his first save on the season in the process.
-Assumption scored the final three runs of the game after going down 6-1 and then 7-2 to start the game. Stonehill scored four runs in the third on three Assumption errors and added one more in the fourth on a single followed by an error in left to go up 6-1. The Hounds gave up five errors in all, which allowed four runs to go unearned by Assumption starter Brendan Desautels (Holden, Mass. / Holy Name Central Catholic), who went four innings and struck out four.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Desautels earned the loss after throwing four innings and allowing six runs on five hits and one walk. He pitched well but was a product of unfortunate fielding, allowing only two earned runs on the day and only one hit in a four-run third for the Skyhawks.
-Young earned the win for Stonehill, allowing five runs (three earned) on nine hits and three walks in 8 2/3 inings. Aiden Wilde led the Skyhawks at the plate, going 3-for-4 with two RBIs, one run, one walk and one double.
-R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) led the Hounds at the plate, going 3-for-5 with one RBI. Libby continued his hit streak to 11 games and has had five multi-hit games during that span, including three games where he had three hits.
-The Hounds travel to face Saint Michael's on Saturday as part of a three-game series between the two teams. First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m. on Saturday.