- Score: Assumption 10, Saint Michael's 8
- Records: Assumption (18-12, 6-6 NE10), Saint Michael's (5-17, 2-11 NE10)
- Location: Colchester, Vt. (Doc Jacobs Field)
- The Lead: After holding an eight-run lead at one point on Saturday against the Saint Michael's Purple Knights, the Assumption Greyhounds needed every run they could get after fending off a ninth-inning comeback to win 10-8 at Doc Jacobs Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds held a 10-2 advantage going into the bottom of the ninth. However, Saint Michael's quickly loaded the bases on three-straight walks and then scored on a fourth-straight walk. Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) came on and made it 10-4 on a wild pitch. Julien Girouz-Harvey scored on a grounder and Iset Maldonado scored on a wild pitch, pulling within four at 10-6. With two outs, Trevor Allen hit his second home run of the game to make it 10-8, chasing Keinz in favor of Colton King (Westerly, R.I. / Moses Brown Prep). King allowed a single to the first batter he faced but then put an end to the Purple Knight's rally by striking out Lenin Gomez to end the game.
-Assumption scored nine of the previous 10 runs prior to Saint Michael's comeback. With the game tied at one in the top of the sixth, R.J. Libby (Middleton, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) scored on an error by the Saint Michael's second baseman to put the Hounds up by one. The error sparked a five-run sixth for Assumption that ended with a two-run double by Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) doubled in to put his team up 6-1.
-The Hounds put up three more in the seventh. Libby began the inning by reaching on a hit by pitch. Down 1-2 in the count, Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) turned on one and sent it over the left-center wall for his second homer of the year and to give the Hounds an 8-1 lead. Trevor McQuade (Westwood, Mass. / Xaverian) made it 9-1 when he scored on a grounder to short. The Hounds then went up 10-2 lead thanks to an RBI-double by Matt Lonardo (Cranston, RI / Cranston High School) before Saint Michael's six-run ninth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Cole Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford High School) earned the win after leaving with the lead in the six. He pitched six innings and allowed only one run on six hits and no walks while striking out seven. King ended up earning his first save of the season and second of his collegiate career by getting the final out of the ninth. Chodoba is now 6-3 on the year.
-Libby finished his day 1-for-4 with two runs to extend his hitting streak to 11 games. He is 20-for-50 (.400) during that span with 11 runs, five RBIs and four doubles.
-Lonardo and Adamson both went 2-for-4, while Lonardo had three RBIs and one run and Adamson had two RBIs and three runs. Lonardo has seven multi-hit games in his last nine appearances, while Adamson has 27 runs on the year and 25 RBIs this season.
-Allen led the Purple Knights at the plate by going 3-for-5 with three RBIs and his two homers. Zach Rodgers started and earned the loss, giving up six runs (two earned) on six hits and four walks.
-The Hounds face Saint Michael's again tomorrow, April 14, in a doubleheader beginning at 10 a.m. It was originally set to begin at 12 p.m. but moved up due to weather.