- Score: Assumption 9, Stonehill 4
- Records: Assumption (23-14, 11-8 NE10), Stonehill (16-23, 7-12 NE10)
- Location: Brockton, Mass. (Campanelli Stadium)
- The Lead: The Assumption Greyhounds scored seven runs in the final two innings, while Colton King (Westerly, R.I. / Moses Brown Prep) came in and halted a ninth-inning comeback by setting down all three batters he faced to defeat the Stonehill Skyhawks 9-4 on Wednesday night at neutral site Campanelli Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-The Hounds scored four runs in the eighth and three in the ninth to take a 9-3 lead heading into the bottom of the ninth. An error at the plate allowed the Hounds to take an initial 3-2 lead in the eighth, while a dropped ball in center field allowed two to score in the ninth to put Assumption up 8-3. Jake Hamel (Uxbridge, Mass. / Saint John's) put the Hounds up 9-3 when he scored on a wild pitch.
-MacGuire O'Sullivan (Durham, Conn. / Coginchaug Regional) started the ninth after pitching the eighth and allowed one runner to score on three straight singles. With no outs and runners on first and second, King relieved O'Sullivan and left both runners as is, striking out the first two batters he faced and then forcing a pop-up to first to end the game.
-Both starters kept their teams in it to begin the game, but Assumption got the better of the Skyhawks' bullpen which ultimately led to their win. Eddie Magi started for Stonehill and left with the game tied at two after seven innings of working, striking out four while allowing five hits and four walks. Brendan Powicki relieved Magi and earned the loss, allowing four runs (three earned) in only 2/3 innings of work. As a whole, the Skyhawks bullpen allowed seven runs on eight walks and just one hit in two innings of work.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
-The Hounds walked 12 times as a unit with eight players generating at least one walk. Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) walked three times throughout the game, while Dillon Koster (Woburn, Mass. / Woburn / Marist College) and Matt Lonardo (Cranston, RI / Cranston High School) walked twice each. Lonardo also added three runs, while Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) had two hits.
-Lonardo has succeeded in getting on base throughout the season, improving his on-base percentage to .398. He now has 23 walks in 35 games to go along with 38 hits and eight steals.
-Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) earned the win after relieving starter Cole Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford High School) with two outs in the seventh inning. Chudoba struck out 10 in 6 2/3 innings of work and allowed two runs (one earned) on six hits and two walks.
- The Hounds host Southern N.H. in a doubleheader beginning at 12 p.m. on Saturday, April 27.