Score: Stonehill 3, Assumption 2
Records: Assumption (1-3, 0-0 NE10), Stonehill (2-2, 0-0 NE10)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
The Lead: Freshman forward Shannon Quinlan (Williamsville, N.Y./Williamsville North) recorded her first collegiate goal and added assist but it was not enough as Stonehill scored a late second half goal to win 3-2 on Monday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless first half, the Skyhawks took a 1-0 lead when Carly Andersen scored a loose ball off a shot from Grace Pickering at 29:20.
- Just 2:42 later sophomore Kristen McCarthy (Danvers, Mass. /Danvers) sent a hard shot into the circle which was redirected by Quinlan to tie the game 1-1.
- With 15:42 left in the second half, the Hounds took a 2-1 lead when Quilan found space on the right side. She was able to draw Stonehill goaltender Sara Freedman and feed the ball past her to sophomore forward Sam Tepper (Stroudsburg, Pa./Stroudsburg) who scored on the open net.
- Andersen tied the game 2-2 off a pass from Kacie Smith at 18:50, and then Smith scored the game winner on a breakaway with 9:30 left in the game.
- With no time left, Assumption was awarded a penalty corner but was unable to tie the game resulting in a 3-2 Stonehill victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Hounds goaltender Sarah Bodzinski (Southwick, Mass./Tolland Regional) made 15 saves in the game, while Freedman improved her record to 2-2 making four saves.
- The Skyhawk offense outshot the Hounds 23-13 and produced two more penalty corners.
- On Wednesday, the Hounds travel to New Haven for a 7pm game.