-Score: Assumption 6 , Saint Thomas Aquinas 1
-Records: Assumption (7-7, 4-4 NE10), Saint Thomas Aquinas (5-9)
-Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
-The Lead: The Assumption College field hockey team had four different goal scorers as the dropped Saint Thomas Aquinas 6-1 on Saturday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds jumped out to an early lead when Sam Tepper (Stroudsburg, Pa./Stroudsburg) scored from the left side just 41 seconds in.
- Assumption extended the lead to 2-0 4:11 into the half. The Hounds were awarded a penalty corner and senior Allison Sheahan (Higganum, Conn. /Haddam-Killingworth) found Kolby Burger (Killingworth, Conn./Haddam-Killingworth) on the post to score.
- Just 4:05 later the Hounds scored their third goal when sophomore Courtney Sickel (Atkinson, N.H./Timberlane Regional) capitalized on a breakaway.
- Saint Thomas Aquinas scored the final goal in the half to cut the deficit 3-1. Taylor Hickey fed Briannah Thore at the top of the circle which she drove past Hounds goaltender Sarah Bodzinski (Southwick, Mass./ Southwick Tolland Regional).
- With a two-goal lead, Tepper tallied her second goal of the evening. She picked up a loose ball in front of Saint Thomas Aquinas goaltender Suzanne Clarke and reversed it past her to claim the 4-1 lead.
- With 11:25 left in the half, freshman Deirdre Burchill (Braintree, Mass./ NashobaRegional) scored her first collegiate goal on a breakaway, and then at 5:26 Burchill added her second goal to end the game 6-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot Saint Thomas Aquinas 23-6 and had three more penalty corners. Bodzinski made two saves in the win while Clarke made six in the loss.
- The two goals by Burchill were the first two of her career.
- Next Wednesday, October 18, the Hounds will host Pace at 4 pm.