-Score: Assumption 9, Southern Connecticut 0
-Records: Assumption (8-8, 5-5 NE10), Southern Connecticut (2-14, 0-10 NE10)
-Location: New Haven, Conn.
-The Lead: The Assumption College field hockey team had three players record multi-point games as they earned a 9-0 shutout win over Southern Connecticut in a NE10 Conference contest on Saturday morning. With her two goals today, senior Allison Sheahan (Higganum, Conn. /Haddam-Killingworth) has now tied for second for the Assumption field hockey scoring record with 34 goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption tallied five unanswered goals in the first half. Junior Kolby Burger (Killingworth, Conn./Haddam-Killingworth) scored the first Assumption goal just three minutes into the contest off an assist from senior Sheahan, and then with 19:06 left, Sheahan scored her first goal of the game assisted by classmate Ashley Lockwood (Feeding Hills, Mass. / Agawam) to take the 2-0 lead.
- Freshman Deirdre Burchill (Braintree, Mass./ NashobaRegional) netted a goal to take a 3-0 lead at 15:41, followed by another Sheahan goal a minute later to push the lead to 4-0.
- Sophomore Molly Quinlan (Fayetteville, N.Y. / Fayetteville-Manlius) scored her sixth goal of the season with 11:09 left before the end of the half which extended the lead by 5.
- The Hounds pushed their lead to 8-0 as senior Belle Ives (Topsfield, Mass. / Masconomet Regional) registered two goals in under seven minutes, tallying her first goal at the 43:17 mark, before finding the back of the net again at the 49:39 mark. M. Quinlan scored the final goal of the game for Assumption, as she tapped in a pass from freshman Jennifer Beardsley (Essex. Mass. / Manchester Essex Regional) in the 58th minute.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Hounds goaltender Sarah Bodzinski (Southwick, Mass./ Southwick Tolland Regional) made three saves in her shutout while Kelli McCombs and Brianna Craft combined for 18 saves. Assumption tallied 29 shots and and 12 penalty corners and only gave up five shots and one penalty corner to the Owls.
- With her two goals today, Sheahan has tied for second for Assumption career goals record (34)
- On Tuesday, the Hounds will travel to Adelphi for a 6 pm contest.