- Score: Assumption 2, Saint Michael's 1
- Records: Assumption 5-3, 1-2 NE10, Saint Michael's 1-7, 1-3 NE10
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Saint Michael's held off a potent Assumption attack to play through two overtimes and force a shootout tied 1-1, where the Hounds outscored the Purple Knights 5-3 to take the 2-1 victory for the Hounds' first conference win.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first goal of the game came in the 36th minute of play from Isabel Primack (Ipswich, Mass./Ipswich) who received a pass around the goalie from Deirdre Burchill (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) and put it in the back of the net.
- The Purple Knights would not answer until the 51st minute, when Nell Criscione would receive a cross pass from Katie Leonard to shoot right past Assumption goalkeeper, Sarah Bodzinski (Southwick, Mass./Southwick Tolland) to tie the game 1-1.
- After two scoreless overtimes, the game went into shootouts. Primack shot first for the Hounds and scored making the shootout 1-0 after a miss from Shelagh Fluharty. Both teams would make every shot after that, which made the score 4-3 headed into the fifth round. The final shot for the Hounds came down to Alexa Mulvihill (Westbrook, Conn./Westbrook), who pulled right and then shot right past the goalkeeper, Hannah Wilmot, to score and won the shootout 5-3 and the game 2-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Bodzinski earned the win with seven saves while the Purple Knights' goalkeeper Wilmot would record the loss after playing for about 52 minutes and recording eight saves. Anna Hurley played the beginning of the game for the Purple Knights and tallied nine saves as well.
- The Hounds dominated in penalty corners (25-1) where the Purple Knights would not earn their only penalty corner until the second overtime.
- Assumption also led in shots throughout the first (17-2) and second (14-2) halves along with the first overtime (3-0). In the second overtime both teams recorded six shots, which made the total for the day 40-10 Assumption.
- The Hounds are on the road for their next contest on Tuesday, October 9 against No. 9 Pace.