- Score: Assumption 7, Mercy 1
- Records: Assumption (4-1, 2-1 NE10), Mercy (1-4, 1-3 NE10)
- Location: Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. (Mercy Field)
- The Lead: With three goals in the first quarter followed by two in both the second and third, the Hounds came out with a dominating 7-1 conference win.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Just 35 seconds into play, Deirdre Burchill (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) received a cross from Sam Tepper (Stroudsburg, Pa./Stroudsburg) and tipped it into the lower left of the cage to take a 1-0 lead. Burchill earned an assist when she sent a shot into the circle that Summer Walsh (South Yarmouth, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional) deflected into the net for another goal at the eight-minute mark. Burchill struck again, this time assisting classmate Jennifer Beardsley (Essex, Mass./Manchester Essex Regional) who tipped the ball in to earn her fourth goal of the season and extend Assumption's lead to three.
- In the second quarter, Shannon Quinlan (Buffalo, N.Y./Williamsville North) sent a shot toward the cage from just inside the circle that McKenzie Patterson (Conway, Mass./Frontier Regional) redirected into the boards for a 4-0 lead. Paige Laverriere (Biddeford, Maine/Biddeford High School) collected a rebound and sent it past the goalie for her first collegiate goal and a fifth goal for the Hounds.
- Lucy Malia (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough) continued the scoring spree with an unassisted goal in the third quarter followed by a Lily Daly (Foxborough, Mass./Foxborough) and Kileigh Hynes (Auburn, Mass./Auburn) combination for Daly's first collegiate goal and the final goal for the Hounds. Mercy did strike back in the 45th minute of play when Rebecca Podskoch snuck one past the goalie to end the game 7-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Kathleen Smiley (Shrewsbury, Mass./Notre Dame Academy) earned the win for Assumption with four saves while Lauren Viscione recorded 16 saves for Mercy.
- Assumption led with 26 shots to Mercy's seven while both teams recorded eight penalty corners.
- The Hounds are back at the Multi-Sport Stadium on Wednesday, September 25 at 1 p.m. against Saint Thomas Aquinas.