- Score: Assumption 4, Saint Thomas Aquinas 2
- Records: Assumption (5-1, 3-1 NE10), Saint Thomas Aquinas (2-4, 0-3 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: The Hounds scored early and often before the Spartans rallied against the shutout and scored two goals late. Saint Thomas Aquinas ran out of time and the Hounds took the 4-2 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Deirdre Burchill (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) started the scoring for the Hounds just under two minutes into play when she collected her own rebound and redirected the shot past the goalie for her fourth goal of the season.
- In the second quarter, Assumption earned a penalty stroke off a swarm of players in front of the net. Lucy Malia (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough) took the penalty stroke for Assumption and rifled a shot to the top left corner of the cage to put the Hounds ahead 2-0.
- Izzy Primack (Ipswich, Mass./Ipswich) was next for the Hounds with a goal off her own rebound as well just three minutes into the third quarter. Assumption kept pushing forward into the fourth when Burchill redirected a shot to the left side of the cage where McKenzie Patterson (Conway, Mass./Frontie Regional) patiently waited and tipped the ball into the cage to give Assumption a 4-0 lead with six minutes left to play.
- Saint Thomas Aquinas did not give up and fought their way down the field to earn a penalty corner. Lisa Larsson crossed the ball to Briannah Thorne at the top of the circle who swept is up into the net to make the score 3-1 with five minutes left. After earning a penalty corner with seconds remaining on the clock, the Spartans earned two more with the clock expired. The Spartans were able to connect on the third one for another goal to end the game 4-2 in favor of the Hounds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Kylie Gargiulo (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand) earned the win for the hounds with six saves while Saint Thomas Aquinas goalkeeper Suzanne Clarke recorded 26 saves.
- The Hounds recorded 51 shots in the game with 17 in the first quarter alone while Saint Thomas Aquinas had nine total. Assumption dominated in penalty corners with 17 compared to the Spartans nine.
- The Hounds are on the road Saturday, September 28 at Southern Connecticut State for a 1 p.m. game.