- Score: Assumption 95, Molloy 80
- Record: Assumption (1-0), Molly (0-1)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption went on a run late in the first half to lead 41-31 at the break and never saw its lead dip below 13 points over the final ten minutes of regulation, as a balanced scoring effort led the Hounds to a 95-80 victory over Molloy on Friday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption jumped out to an 8-4 advantage in the opening 3:40 on a triple by Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) off a Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) feed. Molloy answered with the next eight points to take a 12-8 lead. The Lions extended their advantage to 19-14 at 11:46, before Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXIII) ended the run with a layup.
- The teams traded baskets over the next two minutes, before four straight from Vujadinovic put the Hounds in front, 29-26, with 6:39 remaining. Four straight by Assumption, including a pair of Cal Connelly (Rochester, N.H. / Spaulding / Tilton) free throws extended the lead to 33-26 with 5:01 left. Over the final five minutes, the Hounds outscored Molloy 8-5 to go into the break with a 41-31 advantage.
- Molloy managed to cut the deficit to six points three minutes into the period, but four straight from Assumption pushed the lead back to ten one minute later. A three-point play by Rance stretched it to 60-46 with 13:14 left in regulation.
- The Lions cut the deficit to ten points at 12:02, however, Michael Speight (Morningside, Md. / Wise / Caterbury) hit back-to-back triples to extend the lead to 16 and the Hounds eventually pushed it to 21 on a Fleming free throw with 9:20 remaining. Molloy wasn't able to get any closer than 13 points over the final nine minutes of action as the Assumption offense kept scoring on the way to the 15-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 58.2 percent overall and was an impressive 13 of 23 from downtown, while Molloy made 46.5 percent of its shots and was only 10-for-28 from beyond the arc. Assumption held a 34-29 rebounding edge in the contest as well.
- Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) and Vujadinovic led the team with 23 points apiece, as Kelly also added three rebounds, three assists and two steals. Speight came off the bench to supply 17 points, two rebounds and one block, while Malik Brown (Waldorf, Md. / Northpoint) added six points, six rebounds and three assists in his first career start.
- Fleming grabbed a team-high eight boards with three assists, three points and two steals without a turnover, while Connelly also started and chipped in seven points and five boards.
- Mike Torrie led Molloy with 14 points, four rebounds, four steals and two assists while Will Muller chipped in 15 points, nine boards and two blocks. Steven Torre was also in double figures with 13 points and three assists.
- Assumption returns to action tomorrow, when the Hounds host Concordia (N.Y.) at 4 p.m.