- Score: Assumption 75, Nyack 69
- Record: Assumption (3-1), Nyack (0-4)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption fell into an early hole but came back to grab a 41-39 lead at the half and never trailed over the final 20 minutes, withstanding a late Nyack run to come away with a 75-69 victory on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Nyack jumped out to a 9-0 lead and then pushed it 13-4 just over four minutes into the contest. Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) ended the run with back-to-back triples and then hit another one minute later to give the Hounds a 16-15 lead with 13:41 remaining. A 7-2 personal run by Michael Speight (Morningside, Md. / Wise / Canterbury) gave Assumption the lead, 23-18, with 10:12 left.
- The two teams traded baskets over the next five minutes, with a three-point play from Malik Brown (Waldorf, Md. / Northpoint) putting the Hounds in front, 33-28 at 5:29. Speight stretched the lead to 37-29 with 3:05 left, but the Warriors ended the period on a 10-4 run to go into the break down just 41-39.
- Nyack tied the game up a 41 apiece but Assumption responded with the next ten points, capped off by a Brown layup for the 51-41 lead six minutes into the period. The Warriors countered and closed the gap to five points, before a Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXIII) jumper with 9:57 provided a 58-51 lead.
- The Hounds led 68-58 with just 5:58 remaining, though Nyack was able to cut into the lead and a layup with 1:11 left trimmed it to just 71-66. Vujadinovic converted a free throw on Assumption's next trip, but a Warrior three made it 72-69 with 35 seconds remaining. Nyack pressed and the Hounds were able to beat it as Rance found Speight for the layup, while the defense did the rest to earn the five-point win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot an impressive 58.3 percent from the floor in the contest, including 10 of 19 from beyond the arc, while the Warriors shot 38.1 percent from downtown and 48.1 percent overall. They did have a slight rebounding edge (27-26), but the Hounds had nine more points off turnovers (19-10).
- Vujadinovic finished with 19 points on 6-for-9 shooting with eight rebounds, two assists and two steals, while Speight came off the bench to provide 17 points. Fleming scored one basket and added a team-high eight assists with one turnover and three boards.
- Brown was strong off the bench with nine points and five rebounds while Chris Crespo (Smithtown, N.Y. / Smithtown West) chipped in seven points and two rebounds off the bench also.
- Assumption returns to action on Tuesday when the team travels to play Georgian Court at 6 p.m.