- Score: Southern New Hampshire 68, Assumption 53
- Record: Southern New Hampshire (5-3, 2-2 NE10), Assumption (4-4, 0-3 NE10),
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Southern New Hampshire came out of the gate shooting the ball well and Assumption was never able to draw closer than 11 points over the final 30 minutes of action as the Penmen earned a 68-53 victory on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Southern New Hampshire grabbed an 11-3 lead in the opening 2:30 of the contest, before five straight by Assumption closed it to 13-8 at 16:17. The Penmen answered back with the next 11 points for a 16-point advantage.
- Bryan Boehlert (Gaithersburg, Md. / Magruder) closed the gap to 27-13 with 9:24 left on a three and made another two minutes later to keep the deficit at 15 points. SNHU held the Hounds scoreless for more than five minutes and stretched its lead to 25 points, eventually going into the break with a 43-19 advantage.
- Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXIII) opened the scoring for Assumption as the Hounds went on a 12-0 run to begin the period and closed the gap to just 43-31 on a Cal Connelly (Rochester, N.H. / Spaulding / Tilton) layup. SNHU ended the drought, but Assumption trimmed it to just an 11-point lead, 46-35, with 11 minutes remaining in regulation. The Penmen countered with an 8-3 run to extend the lead to 54-38 at 8:34 and only let the lead slip under 15 points once in the final eight minutes as they came away with the 15-point victory on Saturday.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption made just 34.4 percent of its shots, including 9 of 27 from downtown and 2-for-7 from the charity stripe. SNHU, meanwhile, shot 48.1 percent for the contest and 41.2 percent from beyond the arc. They also held a slight 38-36 rebounding edge while turning it over two less times (14-12).
- Rance led the Hounds with 11 points, four rebounds and one block, while Connelly was also in double figures with 10 points and four boards. Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) didn't score but chipped in six rebounds and four assists, while Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) had eight points, four assists, three rebounds and two steals.
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday when the Hounds travel to face Stonehill at 7:30 p.m.