- Score: Stonehill 70, Assumption 61
- Record: Stonehill (6-4, 3-3 NE10), Assumption (4-5, 0-4 NE10)
- Location: North Easton, Mass. (Merkert Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption led by one point at the half and then trailed by only two points with seven minutes left in regulation, however, Stonehill went on a run and the Hounds couldn't get any closer the rest of the way as they fell 70-61 on Wednesday evening in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption jumped out to a 6-2 lead in the opening 2:30 and led 9-7 on a Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) triple at 14:18. Five straight from the Skyhawks put them back in front 12-9 and they led 17-13 midway through the first half.
- An 8-4 run by Assumption, capped off by a Cal Connelly (Rochester, N.H. / Spaulding / Tilton) shot from downtown gave the Hounds a 23-21 lead with 6:14 remaining. Stonehill answered with seven straight points for a 28-23 advantage, however, Assumption closed the period on an 8-2 spurt as Malik Brown (Waldorf, Md. / Northpoint) scored in the final second of the period for a 31-30 lead at the break.
- Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) gave Assumption a 34-32 lead one minute into the period, before Stonehill went on an 11-2 run over the next four minutes to take a seven-point lead. A pair of three throws with 11 minutes left extended the Skyhawk advantage to ten, 52-42.
- Kelly pulled the Hounds back within five, 54-49, at 7:43 and a triple from Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) 30 seconds later made it just a 54-52 contest, forcing a Skyhawk timeout. Stonehill responded with the next six points. Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXIII) trimmed the deficit to just 64-59 with 2:20 left, but Assumption was unable to get any closer as Stonehill made its free throws to hold on for the nine-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 47.2 percent from the floor but was 7-for-21 from beyond the arc and attempted just six free throws, making four. Stonehill was 16-for-18 from the charity stripe while shooting 44.6 percent overall and 4-for-20 from downtown. The Skyhawks held a 34-29 rebounding edge and committed just six turnovers in the contest.
- Kelly led Assumption with 15 points, four rebounds and two assists while Rance added eight points, five assists, four rebounds and two steals. Michael Speight (Morningside, Md. / Wise / Canterbury) scored 11 points off the bench while Vujadinovic chipped in seven points and six boards.
- Will Moreton paced Stonehill with 20 points, 11 rebounds and two steals, while Brandon Twitty added 18 points.
- The Hounds return to action on Saturday, Dec. 15 when they travel to face off against Chestnut Hill at 3 p.m.