- Score: Bentley 76, Assumption 61
- Records: Bentley (12-1, 6-1 NE10), Assumption (5-8, 1-5 NE10)
- Location: Waltham, Mass (Dana Center)
- The Lead: Assumption trailed by six at the half and used a run midway through the second to cut the deficit to just five points, but 15th-ranked Bentley answered back and pulled away late for a 76-51 victory on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Bentley opened the game on an 8-2 run in the first three minutes, before a 7-4 run by Assumption closed the gap to 12-9 with 13:33 left. Four straight points from Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) cut the deficit to just two points, 17-15, with nine minutes remaining.
- The two teams traded baskets over the next three minutes, as a triple from Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXIII) tied the game at 22 apiece with 5:50 left in the half. Patrick Fleming (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXIII) gave the Hounds a 24-22 lead less than one minute later, but Bentley ended the half on a 10-2 run to grab a 32-26 advantage at the break.
- Rance trimmed it to 34-29 with a three-point play early in the second, however, a 12-4 run by Bentley stretched the lead to 13 points at 15:00. Rance momentarily ended the run with a bucket, before six more points by the Falcons made it a 52-35 contest with 12 minutes remaining.
- Bentley extended its lead to 18 points, however, Kelly went off for eight straight points, including a deep three to pull within ten. Cal Connelly (Rochester, N.H. / Spaulding / Tilton) then connected on a triple to make it a seven-point game, 58-51, with 7:30 left. Assumption cut the deficit to five points on its next possession, but seven straight from Bentley pushed the lead back to 12 points and the Falcons didn't let the Hounds get closer than ten again as they finished with the 76-61 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 41.9 percent from the floor and was just 6 of 22 from downtown while the Falcons made 51.9 percent of their field goal attempts, including 7-for-17 from beyond the arc. Bentley held a slight rebounding edge (33-29) in the contest.
- Rance paced the Hounds with a season-high 20 points and ten boards for his first double-double of the season, while Kelly was in double figures also with 14 points and three assists. Connelly chipped in eight points and three rebounds while Fleming added four points, five rebounds and three assists off the bench.
- Ryan Richmond led the Falcons with 21 points and four assists as one of four players in double figures. Colton Lawrence supplied 16 points and six boards.
- Assumption returns to action on Jan. 5 when the team hosts No. 4 Saint Anselm at 3:30 p.m.